Re: Antique Fifes

  • Sharon
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
      Todd,

      I emailed the fifedrum.org list with your info. Sue C. says she's never
      seen a fife that's half wood, half metal. So if it's a married piece,
      it's not worth anything. I'd call it a fifenstein. :-) Can you get
      pictures so we can be sure? Be sure to get a shot of any maker's marks.

      However, $85 is still a good price for the other fife.

      Sharon

    • JOEWHITNEY@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <FONT COLOR="#000099">Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page </FONT><A HREF="http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/PNRrlB/TM"><B>Click Here!</B></A> --------------------------------------------------------------------~-> Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/18cMusic/ <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: 18cMusic-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • JOEWHITNEY@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2005
          I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a Cloos or Crosby fife whose body was dark wood, like ebony, but had a metal headjoint. Just can't recall when or where I saw it. I believe it had lots of keys and metal work, giving it a piccolo-like look, so it was probably late 19th/early 20th century.
        • Michael Weber
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005
            Hey Todd,
            I've found on eBay a piccolo that is advertised for auction that
            probably resembles that which you've discribed as part metal and
            part wood. If you go to the eBay site and look at item #7364099127
            you'll be able to see it too. High bid at this time for $209.28 and
            there's still over 4 days left to bid. If the one you are looking
            at is similar and has the Cloos name on it... it might be a
            worthwhile investment. Let me know how you make out. By the way, I
            may be joining you for the parade in NH on Veterans Day... it
            depends on my work schedule.

            Good luck,

            Mick

            -

            -- In 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com, toddstaxi@a... wrote:

            > Esteemed List,
            > At a local antique shop, there are two fifes for sale. One
            being a Cloos and the other being a Crosby (half wood and half
            metal). The price tag on each is for $85.00. I played both and
            they sounded alright.

          • toddstaxi@att.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 8, 2005

              Mic,

                 Thank you for the E-Bay Tip. The one that I was looking at is not at all like that piccilo.  I believe that it is, as Sharon put it, a FIFE-N-Stein!

                If you can make it to the parade, that would be great!  Another fifer--Huzzah!    If not, plese do sweat it.  I'll catch up with you at some point.  Hope you can make it.  Its a shame that work gets in the way of having fun!  Aloha.

              Ihre Kreigskamerad,

              Herr Hofmann's halb-Bruder, Trommeler, Erste Neue Hampsha. Regt.

              (a.k.a. Todd E.)

              -------------- Original message from "Michael Weber" <tillerman05@...>: --------------

            • Steve Dillon
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 9, 2006
                Sharon,

                Your question was:

                What do I do with an antique fife that I purchase?

                Well, I know there are different views, all valid, in which
                people/museums treat these instruments.

                As stated before, I have been dealing/collecting antique instruments
                (not fifes) for the past 25 years, and during that time have been
                able to take advice from many different sources.

                Also, my shop has restored instruments (brass) for the Metropolitan
                Museum, in years past, as well as doing restorations for some of the
                major collectors in this country.

                This is what I do.

                When a fife comes in, I go over it with a magnifying glass, to see
                all the markings that might be present.

                After this is done it goes to my shop, and my woodwind restorer,
                Andrea takes over.

                The first thing Andrea does is see if the ferrules will come off.
                After this she pulls the cork and lightly cleans out the inside.
                Many times, there is dirt, etcÂ….within the bore. Next she looks for
                cracks under the where the ferrules were. If cracks are found, she
                will attend to them at that time. Most of the time the crack can be
                filled with thin super glue that we have. Next the fife gets a light
                polish to get all outside dirt off. (When I say light, I mean light!
                I am really anal about this part.) Then the ferrules are given a
                light polish.

                After all this is done, the fife is put back together, and is oiled.
                I use olive oil with a little vitamin E. We give the fife a good
                oiling inside and out, and let it set. Sometimes the outside has to
                be oiled a few times, as the wood soaks it up.

                Again, I go over it with a magnifying glass to see if any marks have
                come to light. I have found that sometimes a maker's mark will
                appear after the instrument was oiled.

                A new cork is fit to the instrument.

                Now it is ready to be tested.

                Here is a site that deals with oiling woodwinds. (Recorders)

                http://www.recorderhomepage.net/wood.html

                Now, when I store my fifes they are vertical, not horizontal. I have
                made racks that display them upright, as I have found the racks that
                display the fifes sideways, will tend to warp the instruments.

                After this, if I am not playing the restored instruments, I oil them
                2 times a year.

                With my regular fife that I play, I oil it once a month, or once
                every other month, depending on how much it is used.

                Is this the final word in caring for older fifes?

                No!

                This is just the method I use.

                Sincerely,
                Steve Dillon