Hello

  • grenco77
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
      My name is Dan McMahon AKA Lt. Campbell of the 42d Grenadiers. I am
      not a musician but I am here to keep an eye on my drummer. I know
      that sooner or later he will join.
    • berkshire1777
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2003
        Lt.,

        Welcome, and congrats on being the first to post a message!

        We hope your drummer will join and we promise to exchange only
        musical infomration. We will make every effort not to skulk around
        trying to learn tactical plans we may use to the Continental
        advantage<g>.

        Ron Glidden, Drummer
        Whitcomb's Rangers

        --- In 18cMusic@yahoogroups.com, "grenco77" <mcmahon130@c...> wrote:
        > My name is Dan McMahon AKA Lt. Campbell of the 42d Grenadiers. I am
        > not a musician but I am here to keep an eye on my drummer. I know
        > that sooner or later he will join.
      • tgp42rhr
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 27, 2004
          Greetings!

          I have just subscribed to this group. I have only read the most
          recent messages but am rather intrigued by the line of questions. As
          back ground for my comments I have been interested in the individual
          soldiers methodes of survival in the brutal and uncomfortable times
          of war for most of my life, I have been a soldier for the past 24
          years and just returned from duty in Iraq.

          The line of questions about fife cases and what some have done
          to "improve" them balanced against documented authenticity made me
          think about what I did to make equipment work for me. In a combat
          situation the rules are eased to a great degree, most of my
          equipment was not issued but procured and adapted to what I needed
          it to do. I have found no information that our Rev War ancestores
          were any less creative then we are. My rule of thumb has been ( in
          living history) if I could think of it so could someone else, so
          long as the matirial and methode used are authentic. That applies to
          any situation that is not openly visible to the public. I also
          continue to research those areas to find any reference to people
          adapting equipment to work.

          The Continental drum slings were anything and everything that would
          hold the drum in place and not break the drummers neck. The two
          easiest to use would be a British sling or maybe a peace of old rope.
          But the research into that could be fasinating and could turn up
          lots of interesting items and ideas.

          I am not advicating that "anything goes", just remember that the
          conditions were harsh and necessity is the mother of invention.

          Heres a thought to end with. Leanardo Da Vince desinged the
          helecopter...500 years before we actually made one fly.

          Your humble servent,

          Tom Patton
          Seargent,
          Gen Coy, 42nd Royal Highland Regiment