Confusion again, was RE: [18cLife] Re: Lacing on a man's waistcoat

  • Barbara Bockrath
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013

      > Hi Patti,
      >
      > I will second what Don Hagist said regarding lacing waistcoats. It wasn't really done.
      >
      > If it is properly fitted to the wearer, there is no need.

      Is there any way pronouns can be eliminated from the English language?

      I, Auntie B in the 'Burgh., a just now catching on that the original question from
      Patti concerned the fit of a brand NEW waistcoat a *very* local customer, Bill.
      D'accord. The garment should fit him.

      My take was that of ....... did average people ever split and lace up the back seam
      of an outgrown garment in order to get more wear from it.

      "My people", to invoke another hated pronoun, live west of the Allegheny Mountains.
      They have a demographic tendency to be farmers (they use the word "planters" on
      local documents) who own between 200 and 250 acres (there was a legal reason for
      that number) of mostly uncleared land; were what we call today Scots-Irish Presbyterians,
      with a good sprinkling of germanic types and a few people who are just difficult to
      pigeonhole, such as Devereaux Smith and Hugh Henry Breckridge.

      Yes, there were a lot of hunting shirts and leggins worn, but the men of dignity of the
      new West Augusta Court District seemed to have owned breeches, waistcoat and coat
      for Court sessions, Sabbath, and Militia days. One "formal" outfit which was worn for years.

      No successful farmer - today or then - would spend hard earned money - and there was
      exceedingly little hard cash money out here at the time - on fancy duds when they needed
      to buy a good bull, or try another variety of wheat seed in order to try and break the wheat
      blight Once again, Solon Buck, _Planting of Civilization in Western Pennsyvlania - and
      other local records. Mend it, make do, do without. "They ain't none anyways, none atall".
      _The Latimers_, Hugh McCook.

      Is there any way we, the List, can invent quick "slang" pronouns so that our far-flung
      readership can comprehend instantly Who, what, where and when is being discussed.
      No one all "People in the 18th Century" fits all.

      Dans la soupe encore, la Vieille Tante, B from Ft. Duquesne

    • Miss Hallie
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
        Dear List,

        Henry Cooke has in his collection an original waistcoat, with lacing and the original lacing cord (it is not tape). As a gentleman grew in age and prosperity (aka pot belly) a waistcoat can be enlarged with additional pieces sewn into the sides or the ultimate adjustment of splitting the back and using lacing. A new made to measure waistcoat would not require lacing for fit. It should fit right out of the gate.

        Hallie