Medical alert "pocket watches" in development: info for all

  • denspear
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 12 10:14 AM
      Hey all,

      As some may know I suffer from a few chronic conditions, and recently had major surgery as a result of one of them. I am slowly getting better and plan to continue reenacting in a smaller capacity.

      Also as many know, I used to sutler as "Frau Spear" with the big cart. I hope to still occassionally do so with the smaller cart offering a very small (and hopefully interesting) assortment of stuff. Basically a blanket merchant with cart.

      To the point: Many of us are getting older and are having medical issues. I myself Have debated the need for a medical alert bracelet for my regular life. However I wanted to develop something that could be used while in living history. So I have created a prototype for future sale (picture in photo section). Its basically in a "pocket watch" style locket. In the glass top is a red cloth maltese style cross on black cloth. the back portion pops open and inside will be a small round booklet with probably 5 to 6 pages, where the important info can be written. Obvisously I don't plan plan on selling a huge amount of these; but I want everyone to know about them so folks know to look for one if someone is in distress (especially me!). Mine has my insurance, emergency contacts, conditions, allergies, and RX info.

      If anyone has any questions or comments You may email me directly at: denspear@...

      Thanks for your time and patience:

      Denise "The Frau" Spear
    • Darrell A. Martin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 12 3:31 PM
        Denise:

        I love the idea! (I have a pacemaker.) My one suggestion would be that
        you talk with your local paramedics, or whomever, and ask them for any
        guidance they might offer. There might be some universally recognized
        symbol that would get the right attention if -- as is hopefully NOT
        going to be the case -- it is needed. Or something else. Obviously I am
        not an expert, or I would tell you myself. ;)

        Darrell
      • carolkocian
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 14 7:39 AM
          Hi Frau,

          I like the idea. Take my thoughts as you wish, since I don't get out in
          the field that much any more.

          It's good to have a common symbol, but I don't understand why someone
          would choose something other than a red cross. That's what's on first aid
          kits, etc. I'm on both the F&I and F&I women's lists, and I don't recall
          any statements posted to either about using a purple heart for medical
          matters.

          Reenactment is a group activity, and the first person to offer help is
          likely to be another reenactor. But what if you are among the public?
          People recognize medic alert bracelets, and that's something most
          reenactors will allow when it comes to authenticity. I don't know what the
          Progressives prefer. I think a watch case with a red cross on it will get
          someone's attention sooner than one with a purple heart. Of course, you
          could have a case with both symbols on it.

          Anyway, back to reenactors as a group, we tend to know who has a medical
          issue, who has an epi-pen, who can't eat some type of food, etc. They
          would probably know who has a medical info watch case, and to point it out
          to emergency personnel - no matter how it is marked.

          I remember, in one group, we would fill out a medical form and they were
          kept in a sealed envelope in the kitchen box. An emergency might happen
          away from the kitchen, so I think it's a great idea for people to have the
          info on them if needed.

          Thank you for developing this!
          -Carol

        • denspear
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 14 7:59 AM
            Hey again,

            Received the following information from the F&I folks. They use a purple heart versus my proposed red cross. They would like a universal symbol which I understand, but I prefer the red cross. So since I am still in deveopment stage, I ask all of you on this list to weigh in about which symbol to use.

            [this is a quote from the F&I gentleman] "I'm very activly involved in medical care. We have started using the purple heart as medical for F & I and Rev War. This is not the purple heart of the Militery Order. This is a plain, solid purple heart. I also have on file a letter from the Purple Heart Order stating this is not a conflict. This emblem is being well recieved. I only suggest this because we're trying to create a universal symbol."

            So what say you good folks....speak now, the development of this product is in your hands!

            Denise "The Frau" Spear

            --- In 18cLife@yahoogroups.com, "denspear" <denspear@...> wrote:

            > Hey all,
            >
            > As some may know I suffer from a few chronic conditions, and recently had major surgery as a result of one of them. I am slowly getting better and plan to continue reenacting in a smaller capacity.
            >
            > Also as many know, I used to sutler as "Frau Spear" with the big cart. I hope to still occassionally do so with the smaller cart offering a very small (and hopefully interesting) assortment of stuff. Basically a blanket merchant with cart.
            >
            > To the point: Many of us are getting older and are having medical issues. I myself Have debated the need for a medical alert bracelet for my regular life. However I wanted to develop something that could be used while in living history. So I have created a prototype for future sale (picture in photo section). Its basically in a "pocket watch" style locket. In the glass top is a red cloth maltese style cross on black cloth. the back portion pops open and inside will be a small round booklet with probably 5 to 6 pages, where the important info can be written. Obvisously I don't plan plan on selling a huge amount of these; but I want everyone to know about them so folks know to look for one if someone is in distress (especially me!). Mine has my insurance, emergency contacts, conditions, allergies, and RX info.
            >
            > If anyone has any questions or comments You may email me directly at: denspear@...
            >
            > Thanks for your time and patience:
            >
            > Denise "The Frau" Spear

          • Ed Kennedy
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 14 8:23 AM
              The Purple Heart may make sense to F&I people but a care giver might be clueless. Go with the Red C ross.
              ed

              To: 18cLife@yahoogroups.com
              From: denspear@...
              Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 14:59:35 +0000
              Subject: [18cLife] Development regarding Medical alert "pocket watches": Need input from list

              Hey again,

              Received the following information from the F&I folks. They use a purple heart versus my proposed red cross. They would like a universal symbol which I understand, but I prefer the red cross. So since I am still in deveopment stage, I ask all of you on this list to weigh in about which symbol to use.

              [this is a quote from the F&I gentleman] "I'm very activly involved in medical care. We have started using the purple heart as medical for F & I and Rev War. This is not the purple heart of the Militery Order. This is a plain, solid purple heart. I also have on file a letter from the Purple Heart Order stating this is not a conflict. This emblem is being well recieved. I only suggest this because we're trying to create a universal symbol."

              So what say you good folks....speak now, the development of this product is in your hands!

              Denise "The Frau" Spear

              --- In 18cLife@yahoogroups.com, "denspear" <denspear@...> wrote:

              > Hey all,

              > As some may know I suffer from a few chronic conditions, and recently had major surgery as a result of one of them. I am slowly getting better and plan to continue reenacting in a smaller capacity.

              > Also as many know, I used to sutler as "Frau Spear" with the big cart. I hope to still occassionally do so with the smaller cart offering a very small (and hopefully interesting) assortment of stuff. Basically a blanket merchant with cart.

              > To the point: Many of us are getting older and are having medical issues. I myself Have debated the need for a medical alert bracelet for my regular life. However I wanted to develop something that could be used while in living history. So I have created a prototype for future sale (picture in photo section). Its basically in a "pocket watch" style locket. In the glass top is a red cloth maltese style cross on black cloth. the back portion pops open and inside will be a small round booklet with probably 5 to 6 pages, where the important info can be written. Obvisously I don't plan plan on selling a huge amount of these; but I want everyone to know about them so folks know to look for one if someone is in distress (especially me!). Mine has my insurance, emergency contacts, conditions, allergies, and RX info.

              > If anyone has any questions or comments You may email me directly at: denspear@...

              > Thanks for your time and patience:

              > Denise "The Frau" Spear

            • Ed Kennedy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 14 8:42 AM
                Then for the purist. there was no Purple Heart at the time of the F&I.

                ed

                To: 18cLife@yahoogroups.com
                From: aquazoo@...
                Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:39:49 -0400

> [...]

                >> issues. I myself Have debated the need for a medical alert bracelet for

                >> my regular life. However I wanted to develop something that could be

                >> used while in living history. So I have created a prototype for future

                >> sale (picture in photo section). Its basically in a "pocket watch"

                >> style locket. In the glass top is a red cloth maltese style cross on

                >> black cloth. the back portion pops open and inside will be a small round

                >> booklet with probably 5 to 6 pages, where the important info can be

                >> written. Obvisously I don't plan plan on selling a huge amount of

                >> these; but I want everyone to know about them so folks know to look for

                >> one if someone is in distress (especially me!). Mine has my insurance,

                >> emergency contacts, conditions, allergies, and RX info.

                >> If anyone has any questions or comments You may email me directly at:

              • Colleen Humphreys
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 14 9:18 AM
                  On Jun 12, 2013, at 1:14 PM, "denspear" <denspear@...> wrote:

                  > To the point: Many of us are getting older and are having medical issues. I myself Have debated the need for a medical alert bracelet for my regular life. However I wanted to develop something that could be used while in living history. So I have created a prototype for future sale (picture in photo section). Its basically in a "pocket watch" style locket. In the glass top is a red cloth maltese style cross on black cloth. the back portion pops open and inside will be a small round booklet with probably 5 to 6 pages, where the important info can be written.

                  I think this is a good idea, maybe talking to some first responders, would generate some good ideas. I remember hearing that they are trained to look for bracelets and necklaces, so, finding out about what they are most likely to find and understand would be helpful.

                  With the importance of Safety First, it is a rare person who would object to a modern medic alert tag, although I'd suggest a long ribbon or chain, so it hides in a woman's clothing, or, if they have become common, a shoe tag for women. Men can easily wear the standard necklace without it showing.

                  Colleen
                • Lauren Walker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 16 11:14 PM
                    My two pence: the standard symbol used (at least in the US) on medical-alert jewelry is the combination of a red asterisk (six points), not a cross (four points), sometimes framed in a hexagon, and has some version of the rod of Aesculapius (a staff with a snake) or a caduceus (winged staff with two snakes) on the upright. Just wanted to mention that it's not the same as a red cross, Maltese cross, or the symbol of the Red Cross, first used to identify and protect medical personnel in an armed conflict in 1864 (thanks, Wikipedia).

                    There are a lot of variations available already, some of which might be suitably unobtrusive -- for instance, many vendors sell a necklace tag with the symbol "blind-stamped" rather than enameled in color. The tags and bracelets already come in a lot of shapes, including key tags and ankle bracelets! But they all seem to have either the six-point star or some variant of the snakes on a staff. Or both.

                    That six-point snowflake in a hexagon appears on some trade silver, so someone might be able to devise an 18th-century version of the standard accepted symbol. Just a thought.

                    Lauren M. Walker
                    lauren.walker@...

                    On Jun 14, 2013, at 10:59 AM, denspear wrote:

                    > Hey again,
                    >
                    > Received the following information from the F&I folks. They use a purple heart versus my proposed red cross. They would like a universal symbol which I understand, but I prefer the red cross. So since I am still in deveopment stage, I ask all of you on this list to weigh in about which symbol to use.
                    >
                    > [this is a quote from the F&I gentleman] "I'm very activly involved in medical care. We have started using the purple heart as medical for F & I and Rev War. This is not the purple heart of the Militery Order. This is a plain, solid purple heart. I also have on file a letter from the Purple Heart Order stating this is not a conflict. This emblem is being well recieved. I only suggest this because we're trying to create a universal symbol."
                    >
                    > So what say you good folks....speak now, the development of this product is in your hands!
                    >
                    > Denise "The Frau" Spear
                    >

                    > --- In 18cLife@yahoogroups.com, "denspear" <denspear@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Hey all,
                    >>
                    >> As some may know I suffer from a few chronic conditions, and recently had major surgery as a result of one of them. I am slowly getting better and plan to continue reenacting in a smaller capacity.
                    >>
                    >> Also as many know, I used to sutler as "Frau Spear" with the big cart. I hope to still occassionally do so with the smaller cart offering a very small (and hopefully interesting) assortment of stuff. Basically a blanket merchant with cart.
                    >>
                    >> To the point: Many of us are getting older and are having medical issues. I myself Have debated the need for a medical alert bracelet for my regular life. However I wanted to develop something that could be used while in living history. So I have created a prototype for future sale (picture in photo section). Its basically in a "pocket watch" style locket. In the glass top is a red cloth maltese style cross on black cloth. the back portion pops open and inside will be a small round booklet with probably 5 to 6 pages, where the important info can be written. Obvisously I don't plan plan on selling a huge amount of these; but I want everyone to know about them so folks know to look for one if someone is in distress (especially me!). Mine has my insurance, emergency contacts, conditions, allergies, and RX info.
                    >>
                    >> If anyone has any questions or comments You may email me directly at: denspear@...
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for your time and patience:
                    >>
                    >> Denise "The Frau" Spear

                  • fishmomof3
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 18 10:22 AM
                      I have a medical alert necklace which is more easily hidden by clothing.
                      diane f