RE: [18cLife] Images of riding crops

  • Will Tatum
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
      Dear Auntie B,

      Following the hounds for sure. Thanks for the pointer on context & the
      Stubbs suggestion!

      Yr Svt,
      Will Tatum
      On Jan 10, 2013 1:17 PM, "Barbara Bockrath" <auntiebinpa@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Dear Will Tate,
      >
      > May I suggest you tell your public library that you want books about
      > the works of George Stubbs, 1724-1806. I saw a traveling exhibit of his
      > paintings at the
      > Walters in Baltimore several years ago. After seeing his anatomical
      > studies, most of which
      > which are not included in art books ( perhaps because they are too "CSI
      > gruesome"???)
      > I do not doubt Stubb's ability to report EXACTLY what he saw.
      >
      > Are you looking for a jockey or "sportsman's" crop or a gentleman's riding
      > whip?
      > Using the wrong one at the wrong time and place is like entering the
      > dressage
      > ring wearing jeans and a Stetson. "Sir, there is NO Halloween class today.
      > Exit at "A"."
      >
      > Park riding, country riding, following the hounds? ...... Get it right or
      > go home.
      >
      > As another footnote of the trivia, even today, a lady entering a dressage
      > class
      > riding in the ladies saddle (sidesaddle enthusiast) IS allowed to carry a
      > cue
      > (long whip) in her Grand Prix test; The cue
      > replaces the "missing" right heel. Take the rule book with you; you will
      > need it.
      >
      > While you are looking at Stubbs, really look at Whistle Jacket and sigh.
      >
      > Auntie B in the 'Burgh
      >
      > > After catching sight of riding crops in a few portraits, sadly too small
      > > make out any details, I was wondering if anyone had leads to good
      > portraits
      > > showing off this item or any originals. From what I can tell, it doesn't
      > > seem like the form has changed that much over time.
      > >
      > > Thank you for your assistance and consideration.
      > >
      > > Yr Svt,
      > > Will Tatum
      > > NYV

    • Cheryl C.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
        Actual hunting whips in Stubbs painting: Portrait of Thomas Smith

        Gentlemen with riding crops by Stubbs:
        Baron de Robek
        George IV when Prince of wales
        Portrait of a Huntsman

        The Virginia Museum of Fine Art has a large collection of
        Sporting Art donated by the Mellon family, but unfortunately
        they have not seen fit to put any of it online. Much of it is
        on display in Richmond.

        Cheryl C.
      • livesinclimax
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 10, 2013
          Another place to look would be the Yale Center for British Art..

          Perry