Re: [18cLife] Women's Vest

  • Carol Haven
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
      Have you tried to google woman's bodice?  It seems to me that I've seen a quilted bodice in one of Linda Baumgarten's books and she talked about bodice , jumps and waistcoat being used interchangeably.  The book had a picture of a quilted bodice - it was unboned and used for underwear warmth or at home undress wear.  The only waistcoat I've seen is on p 68 of the Revolution in Fashion from the Kyoto Museum and it is 1780's with a "faux" waistcoat, called a gilet.  It is only a waistcoat front attached to a jacket.   My ex-husband made one for me years ago. I happen to have the pattern for it.   Here is a link for jumps from the same book.  It's the picture of the little girl and woman in blue.  http://ornamentedbeing.tumblr.com/post/7639551438
      Carol Haven
      http://www.historyhats.com/%c2%a0 (used to be Just Two Tailors)

    • Soo
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
        No. The spencer is a high waisted outer garment with sleeves. It started to be worn in the 1790's when the higher waist became fashionable in gowns.

        Sue Too

        --- In 18cLife@yahoogroups.com, Salmon381@... wrote:

        > Is it a Spencer?
        > Diane F

      • karen_larsdatter
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2013
          Tami wrote:

          > Thanks for the help with this. I was looking for information on a
          > quilted waistcoat.

          Not sure if you've tried http://larsdatter.com/18c/womens-waistcoats.html but there are several linked from there, dating from 1700 to 1770.

          Karen H.
          http://www.larsdatter.com/18c
          (who knows she really MUST sit down and do an overall update on the links on the site ... soon ...)
        • tami crandall
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2013
            Thanks so much Karen. These were super helpful!

            ________________________________
            > Thanks for the help with this. I was looking for information on a
            > quilted waistcoat.

            Not sure if you've tried http://larsdatter.com/18c/womens-waistcoats.html but there are several linked from there, dating from 1700 to 1770.

            Karen H.
            http://www.larsdatter.com/18c
            (who knows she really MUST sit down and do an overall update on the links on the site ... soon ...)

          • Colleen Humphreys
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 3, 2013
              On Jan 2, 2013, at 9:02 AM, karen_larsdatter wrote:

              > Not sure if you've tried http://larsdatter.com/18c/womens-waistcoats.html but there are several linked from there, dating from 1700 to 1770.

              I haven't mentioned it recently, but I want to say how very very useful and helpful your site is!!!!! When I am looking for something, I've learned to start by going to your site, finding a bunch of links, and checking out more, at some of the more obscure places. It works really well! And, since it is set up so that the accession numbers are there, when museums reorganize, and break their old links, just going to collections for that site, and pasting in the accession number works, too.

              So, thank you!

              Colleen