Paul Sandby artworks

  • Sue Felshin
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2011
      So, the other day I was looking online for a particular Paul Sandby artwork I have some notes about. I didn't find it, but I did find a bunch of other interesting artworks that I thought people might enjoy.

      Paul Sandby
      _Windsor: The ascent to the Round Tower_, c.1770
      http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/egallery/object.asp?maker=12503&object=917876&row=15
      There's a lovely riding habit on the lady in the left foreground. See the conservatively dressed blue and brow gentleman beside her? Not entirely conservative -- a hint of a bright red waistcoat peeks out under his coat. That looks like a soldier and his wife in the right foreground, with the soldier waiting patiently while his wife nurses their baby. It's interesting to see that while most of the tourists are dressed as ladies and gentlemen, the common folk visit too. Was there an admission fee, does anyone know? What's the ladder for, I wonder. Ceiling maintenance? Getting onto the roof through a hatch?

      Paul Sandby
      _Windsor Castle and part of the town, c.1765
      http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/egallery/object.asp?maker=12503&object=453597&row=8
      Nice example of a bed gown -- a rather long one, too. As always, the neckline is covered by a handkerchief. Too bad the end of the sleeve is obscured by the cloth over the arm of the laundress(?) street seller(?).

      Paul Sandby
      _Windsor: The Henry VIII Gateway_, c.1775
      http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/egallery/object.asp?maker=12503&object=914548&row=18
      I love this street scene. There's a goat at the left chewing on an oak(?) tree. To my non-equestrian eye, it looks like the donkeys pulling the cart are saddled with some sort of light, unformed saddle. The woman driving the donkeys wears her jacket or bed gown unfastened in front. (I think there's an artist's error with the hat and jacket -- it looks like they're superimposed.) There's a dog at the heel of the cart -- it seems like there are always dogs. Are those soot-covered chimney sweeps at the right of the gate, and what is the man they're watching doing? Grinding knives? The soldiers at the left of the gate are slim and elegant -- this is no satire of beefy, clumsy English vs. reedy, foppish French!

      Your affectionate servant,
      Sue Felshin
      sfelshin@...
    • Cheryl C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2011
        The donkeys are probably wearing a common style
        of work cart harness. There is a "saddle" component
        that is large and padded, since a lot of the weight
        of a two-wheel cart goes across the animal's back,
        the large pad helps disperse the weight over a larger
        area, something not needed with a four-wheel vehicle.

        Cheryl C.

        (Who also drives horses when not involved in living history!)