Re: [18cLife] Re: Newbie Intro @ JHM

  • avalonforge
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 9, 2012
      Lyric

      I am curious ... what is a laundry copper?

      John White
      Avalon Forge
      Baltimore
      "Replicas for 18th Century Living History"
      http://www.avalonforge.com

      On 6/9/2012 11:36 AM, lovinlocks wrote:

      > Greetings JMH!
      >
      > Thank you for responding. It is the best feeling when you're new to a
      > group and someone takes the time to respond. I know how busy folk are
      > these days thus the response is all the more appreciated!
      >
      > Daaaaang, you are correct laundry was no joke back in the day, eh????
      > Geesh. I was seriously thinking of using muslin as the foundation for
      > my under construction new wardrobe project. Maybe I need to rethink
      > and go with poly/cotton . . . NOT! Seriously, I'll just have to suck
      > it up, put my big girl panties on as they say and get with the
      > program. I am loving cotton (especially in this 95 degree in the shade
      > daily weather that we have).
      >
      > I did boil a pot of water and added white vinegar after reading that
      > on Google somewhere. The petticoat came out better, but still not as
      > white as original and I know because I put a white eyelet embroidered
      > edge on it that is a cotton blend and that bad boy is white as white.
      > Now, the petti. doesn't match. I'm not giving up. Thank goodness
      > muslin is not overly expensive. Either way, I'm going to keep wearing
      > my new petticoat. Umm, I've got to check out Lehman's or somewhere for
      > a "laundry copper" apparently.
      >
      > Lyric

    • Barbara Bockrath
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 25, 2012

        > I read Auntie B's post to mean that a little ingenuity to make a reasonable "faux" look, is nothing new. NOT that 18thC women painted their legs.
        > ERGO: La plus ca change, la plus ils sont la meme.

        Dear Soo Too,

        Precisely! Also, "Needs must when the devil drives."

        We worry so much about looking "right". I fear that were we to really
        get into the Delorean time machine and see our ancestors in everyday
        life, we would be disappointed because few of them would look "right".
        By "right" I mean the beautiful European paintings and the few American ones
        such as Copley. I suspect our local ancestors looked more like 18th century "Wal-Mart
        people" than they did those exquisites depicted in the works of art.

        Here's today's rumination. Who paid for all these clothes? Who put up the blunt?
        We Moderns are so accustomed to buying our own attire, that we forget that the
        world did not always revolve in this fashion.

        Certs, in established households of means the husband arranged for the wife's
        "pin money", that is her clothing allowance, be it quarterly, annual - whate'er.

        All right, we are accustomed to the idea the majority of people in the various North
        American colonies were farmers of one station or another. One can readily reason
        that a large planter would give his female dependents a reasonable clothing allowance,
        if not from personal affection and generosity, then at least because those females had
        to look nice in public in order to reflect HIS importance and success. Now, we get to the
        small farmer of 300 acres or less of land. A farmer ALWAYS needs money for improvements
        to stock, equipment, seed and fields. What money which is on hand is not likely to go for
        mere female fripperies and vanities of vanities. (If you can stand it, try reading some books
        of old 18th century country sermons, especially Presbyterians and Baptists. You'll find plenty
        of sermons on this subject! They won't digest well for you, but ....autre temps; autre meurers.)

        Village life did not exist in my home area in the era. Many farm wives - early settler(esses?)
        went literally weeks and months without seeing a soul outside of their immediate families.
        (My next rumination will be upon the madness engendered by isolation, but not here.)
        If one's social life consists of trying to keep your five sheep (actual estate inventory number),
        two horses, two cows and a heifer and swine "great and small" alive -and NOT having Indians
        and "painters" come down the chimney on a regular basis, one is rather unlikely to worry about
        the level of one's fashion sensibility.

        No, I'm not trying to impose my ruminations on what life was actually like out here in the West Augusta
        upon all 18th century re-enacting. My goodness, the Public would never pay good money to see
        "hard times" in action <grin> I've had only a couple of opportunities to read extant documents
        regarding women's clothing allowances. One , of course, is Barbara Johnson's journal as published
        by Natalie Rothstein. It is a fascinating read and very informative about the gentry class in England, but it
        is of no help at all to me. Another was a man's daybook/journal which was a little more local
        and listed his expenses. Unfortunately, the pages which are still legible say nothing about his wife.
        Does anyone out there have any good (and accessible) reading suggestions on the subject to share?

        Barb Bockrath, who posts as Auntie B in the [Pitts]burgh