Gardez l'eau and sanitation

  • pam williams
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
      Indeed...as we all know, sanitation had not reached the state to which
      we've become accustomed (surely it didn't in MANY places - rural and
      otherwise) until probably mid-20th c. (Or maybe later!)

      In the pot, out the window and into the gutter, such as it was, was
      ordinary. The Maryland State House - Capital of the new country in 1783/4
      - had a large capacity "restroom" just outside the building. Lovely
      thing. It had a "channel" called a "pissduit" that took waste down the
      hill to the street on State Circle. Nearby was a City well for fresh
      water. Thankfully, THAT was uphill just a tad from the "drain field" for
      the House of Office.

      Ahhh...the good old days!!!
      Ms. Pammy

    • Darrell A. Martin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2011
        On 12/1/2011 5:36 AM, pam williams wrote:
        > Indeed...as we all know, sanitation had not reached the state to which
        > we've become accustomed (surely it didn't in MANY places - rural and
        > otherwise) until probably mid-20th c. (Or maybe later!)
        >
        > In the pot, out the window and into the gutter, such as it was, was
        > ordinary. The Maryland State House - Capital of the new country in 1783/4
        > - had a large capacity "restroom" just outside the building. Lovely
        > thing. It had a "channel" called a "pissduit" that took waste down the
        > hill to the street on State Circle. Nearby was a City well for fresh
        > water. Thankfully, THAT was uphill just a tad from the "drain field" for
        > the House of Office.
        >
        > Ahhh...the good old days!!!
        > Ms. Pammy

        Hi:

        "Good old days." Right. ;)

        By comparison, the palace at Knossos in Crete had piped running water,
        porcelain flush toilets, and a covered sewer system separate from the
        stormwater drains. This was about 3,500 years ago, during the Minoan
        Bronze Age.

        Darrell