5062Re: [18cLife] Basic Hand-Stitching Questions

  • Colleen Humphreys
    Nov 27, 2013

      On Nov 26, 2013, at 3:33 PM, <eveningmaple@...> wrote:

      For a flat-felled seam, would a running stitch have been used, or a backstitch, or a combination of both?  Is there a stich count-per-inch that I should aim for?

      Half back, one back stitch, fill the needle with 2-3 more sts.  Pull through, repeat.  The finest quality might have sts worked over every two threads of the fabric.  On the other hand, IIRC 8-10 sts is what I usually get, I don't do the two threads stuff!   Don't worry too much.  Make sure it is holding and practice by working in the seams with the least strain, the long sides and sleeves.  The shoulder-sleeve seam needs to be done more carefully.  You will get smaller and even with time.

      When sewing by hand, would an embroidery hoop have been used to hold the cloth taught, or is there another technique?

      Nope.  People who like the cloth taught, for a righty, pin the right edge of the seam to your right knee (I mean the clothes.  For women in colonial clothing, the petticoat needs to be anchored firmly under the leg to work). Or to the chair, or to a bit
      of tape you fasten to something convenient.  Hold the left end of the section you are working on, and you can hold it to the taughtness you prefer as you are working that section.  Shift the fabric and repin as convenient. Some people love this method, others can understand why it might help....both are right.

      There's a great post from Two Nerdy History Girls about men's shirts (http://twonerdyhistorygirls.blogspot.com/2011/04/finer-points-of-18th-c-mans-shirt.html).

      Good post!
      Would the buttons pictured at the bottom of that post have been appropriate in 1776, and does anyone know how to make them?

      Yep!  They are easy.

      Take a length of thread, maybe 1.5-2 yds (I forget, it has been years).  Wax it well.  Using a stick or pen or something (a bone seam smoother will also work) wrap the thread around repeatedly until you have a little donut of thread.  It should be a thick donut.  Since it is waxed, it will stick together.  Gently remove it.  Work around the disk with closely spaced identical buttonhole stitches    The nerdy girl suggested to cover the first layer with a second, and I didn't, and I think that that would help with keeping a firm shape.  Next time I will!  Then take a stitch across the back, back and for 3-5 times, and then blanket stitch over it and anchor with a bunch of little sts in multiple directions.
      There's a link to a similar button, but I wasn't quite sure if they were the same.
      The link is to the wrong type.

      I hope this helps

      Colleen

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic