Re: Deephorse's Little Big Horn

  • tiger7363901
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 22, 2011
      Excellent AAR and Pics!

      --- In 15americanindianwars@yahoogroups.com, Eric Burgess <EricBu@...> wrote:

      > Very nice terrain and game.
      >
      > Eric

    • Deephorse
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 22, 2011
        Hello Eric. Yes they were, and the Army still lost. It would have been a much shorter game, and probably not worth gaming, using the historical strengths. Cavalry companies would have been 8 to 10 figures rather than the 14 to 16 I used. Sources I read also vary on the number of warriors present, and who is to say which number is correct? It was a game after all and not a simulation.

        Andrew

        --- In 15americanindianwars@yahoogroups.com, Eric Burgess <EricBu@...> wrote:

        > Quick question:
        > " All the cavalry companies were stronger than they were historically, and they were facing roughly half the number of Indians that many say were present that day."
        >
        > Why was this done? Seems like a pretty huge gap between LBH and what you had on the table.
        >
        > Eric

      • Eric Burgess
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 22, 2011
          Sounds good. Just was curious of the reasoning.

          Good to see the plains wars being re-fought across the globe.

          Eric

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 23, 2011
            In the run up to this big game we'd played a number of smaller ones using Yellow Ribbon. One thing I learned was, if the Indians are controlled - as they were here - then the Army can be in for a tough time. The historic company sizes were never going to make for a good, or long, game!

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 23, 2011
              That is a very interesting observation about YR.

              I don't play YR, so I don't have any firsthand experience with it.

              Eric

              In the run up to this big game we'd played a number of smaller ones using Yellow Ribbon. One thing I learned was, if the Indians are controlled - as they were here - then the Army can be in for a tough time. The historic company sizes were never going to make for a good, or long, game!

              --- In 15americanindianwars@yahoogroups.com, Eric Burgess <EricBu@...> wrote:

              > Sounds good. Just was curious of the reasoning.
              >
              > Good to see the plains wars being re-fought across the globe.
              >
              > Eric

            • tiger63090
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 12, 2013
                Andrew,
                I am planning on running a LBH game using YR rules. I am pretty far along in my preparation and am seeking your advise.
                By my calculations your table depicted in your posted photos is
                approximately 7' X 14'. My table will be 6' X 16", so the two are
                comparable. My question is did you alter the YR scales for time, move
                distances or fire ranges? The listed scales in the booklet indicates one inch = 10 yards. At that scale the table least would need to be at least three times that used. Obviously a non-starter. If the firing ranges were lest the same, did it make a significant difference between game play and historical tactics?
                TIA.
                Jerry

> [...]
                >
                > Photos 39 and 40 show Company L being wiped out and more Indians circling round behind the Army. Company I prepares to go down fighting.
                >
                > The Last Stand (photos 41 and 42) of Company I. There is still one cavalry figure left fighting. Can you see him amongst the carnage? Off camera Companies C and F would have found it difficult to escape the encircling Indians. And so it was left to Captains Benteen and French, with their newfangled battlefield communication devices, to escape and explain all to a Board of Inquiry.
                >
                > This game was a good nine months in the preparation and planning. For me it paid off. It looked good and the Yellow Ribbon rules (modified a bit) enabled us to play it in a day. I had a lot of fun and I think everyone else did too. I hope you've enjoyed this AAR and the photos.

              • fallgelb1940
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2013

                  For anyone reading, Jerry and I have dealt with this elsewhere.