Letters of John B. Noyes

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
      Dear Group members,
      For the past several months I have been transcribing the CW letters of
      John B. Noyes Private, Co. B, and I would like to share them with you.

      These letters give a detailed description of the experiences of the
      soldiers in the 13th Mass, especially those in Company B! It's as
      close as you can get to being there with them.

      I have added notes to the transcriptions,(my notes are in italics)
      though not all the notes are
      complete. The transcribed letters have a number
      designation corresponding to the Harvard Univ. Library Collection that
      they came from. (The collection of about 200 letters is on microfilm,
      I can tell you how to purchase copies from Harvard).

      Original transcriptions were hand written, so some words were hard to
      read, other latin phrases were difficult to
      decipher, -- I don't know latin. (If you & can correct a phrase
      please contact me!)

      I have posted 13 of the letters on our group site under 'files.' I
      will post more in the coming days.

      I'm not sure how this works, But if your computer downloads them to
      your desktop please be aware that the letters are for educational
      purposes,
      they are property of Harvard, even though these transcriptions are my
      own research,
      permission would be needed to publish them,
      but I feel it is important & useful to share these with the group.

      I have a total of 44 or 45 letters to post - covering the regiments
      history from muster in at Ft. Independence, July, 1861, to
      the march into Virginia, on March 1, 1862. Not much is written about
      this period in their regimental history, so these will be a rare treat.

      I have deleted the previously posted letters of Noyes because the
      numbering did not correspond to this new group which is mostly
      again in the future with the proper numbering.

      Let me know if you have questions. I would enjoy hearing comments.

      Sorry for the long Post.

      Brad
    • Robert Crelin

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2007
          Hello all.

          I opened the letters with Word.
          When I clicked on the letters my computer prompted me to choose a
          program to open it with. I chose Word as it seems to work the most
          often. If this doesn't happen for you here are a few suggestions:

          Sometimes dragging the document to be opened, in this case the
          letters, to your desktop and opening them from there will work.

          Another strategy is to open Word or Adobe FIRST and then click on the
          letters.

          It's worth a try anyway.

          Mary Housman-Meyer (Samuel Derrick Webster)
        • Brad Forbush
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
            Robert Crelin wrote:

            > *Brad, how do I open the letters? I would like to check the dates
            > against the dairy of my grandfather to see just what their view of the
            > day is being in the same outfit but different companies.... bob*
            >
            > */bradley91505 <bradleyandsue@...>/* wrote:
            >
            > Dear Group members,
            > For the past several months I have been transcribing the CW letters of
            > John B. Noyes Private, Co. B, and I would like to share them with you.
            >
            > These letters give a detailed description of the experiences of the
            > soldiers in the 13th Mass, especially those in Company B! It's as
            > close as you can get to being there with them.
            >
            > I have added notes to the transcriptions,(my notes are in italics)
            > though not all the notes are
            > complete. The transcribed letters have a number
            > designation corresponding to the Harvard Univ. Library Collection that
            > they came from. (The collection of about 200 letters is on microfilm,
            > I can tell you how to purchase copies from Harvard).
            >
            > Original transcriptions were hand written, so some words were hard to
            > read, other latin phrases were difficult to
            > decipher, -- I don't know latin. (If you & can correct a phrase
            > please contact me!)
            >
            > I have posted 13 of the letters on our group site under 'files.' I
            > will post more in the coming days.
            >
            > I'm not sure how this works, But if your computer downloads them to
            > your desktop please be aware that the letters are for educational
            > purposes,
            > they are property of Harvard, even though these transcriptions are my
            > own research,
            > permission would be needed to publish them,
            > but I feel it is important & useful to share these with the group.
            >
            > I have a total of 44 or 45 letters to post - covering the regiments
            > history from muster in at Ft. Independence, July, 1861, to
            > the march into Virginia, on March 1, 1862. Not much is written about
            > this period in their regimental history, so these will be a rare
            > treat.
            >
            > I have deleted the previously posted letters of Noyes because the
            > numbering did not correspond to this new group which is mostly
            > again in the future with the proper numbering.
            >
            > Let me know if you have questions. I would enjoy hearing comments.
            >
            > Sorry for the long Post.
            >
            > Brad

            > Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's Comedy with an Edge
            > <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=47093/*http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222>to
            > see what's on, when.

            Bob,
            Sign in to our group with your Yahoo ID and password. Click on the
            'files' menu from the home page, then go to the John B. Noyes folder I
            set up. Open the folder -- I have posted 13 or 14 letters there. I
            will post more, I have about 50. Let me know if this doesn't work for
            you.
            Brad
          • bradley91505
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2007
              --- In 13thmassgroup@yahoogroups.com, "maryhousmanmeyer" <mhm@...> wrote:

              > Hello all.
              >
              > I opened the letters with Word.
              > When I clicked on the letters my computer prompted me to choose a
              > program to open it with. I chose Word as it seems to work the most
              > often. If this doesn't happen for you here are a few suggestions:
              >
              > Sometimes dragging the document to be opened, in this case the
              > letters, to your desktop and opening them from there will work.
              >
              > Another strategy is to open Word or Adobe FIRST and then click on the
              > letters.
              >
              > It's worth a try anyway.
              >
              > Mary Housman-Meyer (Samuel Derrick Webster)

              That is correct, Mary, I made these documents with word, so that
              program will work, adobe may work too. I think Microsoft notebook (?)
              will open them too. Hopefully the formatting won't be lost. If all
              else fails I can post the letters as text files without formatting.