New Group Member

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25, 2013
      Greetings everyone!

      I'd like to welcome Nancy to our group. She is a descendant of George Bigelow, Company C. George was killed by 'friendly fire' at the Battle of Fredericksburg. His death was mentioned in Charles Davis, Jr's narrative - which is on the website.

      http://www.13thmass.org/1862/battle_fredericksburg.html

      A piece of cannon fodder struck from James Hall's 2nd Maine Battery struck him during the artillery duel, and he died a few days later.

      We have 40 members now.

      Brad
    • bforbush@att.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 16 10:01 PM
        Everyone, I want to welcome David Hills to the group.  David is a descendant of  Louis Edwin Granger, Company A.
        I checked, but I do not have a photograph of Louis.  Apparently Dave knows some things about Granger.
        you can access the files, attachments and photographs at the site.

        Brad
      • bforbush@att.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 27 5:59 PM
          Greetings 13thmass Group,
          I'd like to welcome Mac Elser to  the group.  Mac is a member of the Hancock Maryland Historical Society and is researching the Stonewall Jackson's Romney Campaign of winter, 1861-1862.  Mac is aware that the citizens of Hancock during the time of the Civil War liked the 13th Mass soldiers they came in contact with, and after the battle of Antietam, they came to Sharpsburg with aid for the wounded, and specifically sought out members of the regiment.

          I'd like to let Mac know if he visits the group home page and clicks on some of the links he will find letters, diaries and pictures posted here - and again, that goes for everyone.

          And, everyone should feel free to post here with items of interest.

          I've got to the point now, where its difficult to remember everyone in the group without some effort, considering all the information and inquiries that come my way, so if members have anything to share about an ancestor that has not already been shared, feel free to use this message board to add to the resources.

          One other thing, I haven't been posting at the blog or here, because I'm working on the Gettysburg campaign for the website, and I'm out of sync with the 150 year anniversary.  One thing to reflect upon however, is that 150 years ago, the remaining soldiers in the regt. were about to start with Gen. Grant on his Overland Campaign.  They had only 2 1/2 months left to serve before going home.  That must have weighed heavily on their minds when it became apparent in May, they would be under fire every day.

          With only a short time left to serve, many died.  Still their casualties were lighter than other units involved in this campaign.
          Best wishes