History of the 13th

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 9, 2006
      Hi Group Members,
      In case some of our members aren't familiar with the history of the
      13th Regt. I have uploaded, under files, a document outlining the
      history of the regiment. The original doc. was taken from files at
      the Antietam library and Westboro Library. It lists all the
      engagements of the 13th and all their commanders throughout their service.
      To see it click on the files button and the history folder.
      Brad
    • bradley91505
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 18, 2006
        Group Members
        I posted a new file- the history of the unit in narrative form. For
        those who want an overview of the entire record of the 13th Mass
        without the details of command and battles, read this. It is in the
        files section of our site under the history folder.

        I wrote this as an introduction to the book of stories I would like to
        get published. I left a lot of detail out in order to quickly cover
        basics. It is still revisable at this point and
        constructive criticism is welcome.
        Brad
      • RKT
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
          Brad:
          I have a lot of information about Morton Tower. But I also have another relative that I believe was in the 13th Mass. Winthrop Tower, do you have any information or know where I can get the information?

          Rich

          bradley91505 <bradleyandsue@...> wrote:
          Group Members
          I posted a new file- the history of the unit in narrative form. For
          those who want an overview of the entire record of the 13th Mass
          without the details of command and battles, read this. It is in the
          files section of our site under the history folder.

          I wrote this as an introduction to the book of stories I would like to
          get published. I left a lot of detail out in order to quickly cover
          basics. It is still revisable at this point and
          constructive criticism is welcome.
          Brad

          Have a safe day and remember, safety is in your hands.

        • Forbush
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 21, 2006
            Rich,
            I don't know if the above is an active link, but if you can get to the address you will find it is a huge database with the records of soldiers.  It may only contain information from regimental rosters but sometimes it includes a photo.  I have just become aware of this site, and may subscribe to it.  As you can see, you have to pay a fee, but I've recently received a few records from this site and it looks very good.

            I found Winthrop in the regt. roster, but I don't recall mention of him in the circulars.  If I had something it would be a reference made by another soldier, but again, I don't recall any. I have four manuscripts/books that could mention him (Warren Freeman, Austin Stearns Co.K,  and Sam Webster Co. D, ) but again, I don't recall seeing any reference in these to Winthrop.   Winthrop was in CO. A.  There is a collection of letters by Warren Hapgood Freeman and his brother that is available, free from Library of Congress, or I could try and send you the file.  (its 1 meg.) Freeman served in Co. A of the 13th.

            I did post an extensive bibliography of materials on the 13th in our files section.  It shows everything I've found on the 13th Mass.  and places to look for  information.

            Also, you might want to write to the National Archives for his military and pension files.  If you don't know how to do this, reply and I'll get the information for you.
            Hope this is helpful
            Brad

            bradley91505 <bradleyandsue@ earthlink. net> wrote:
            Group Members
            I posted a new file- the history of the unit in narrative form. For
            those who want an overview of the entire record of the 13th Mass
            without the details of command and battles, read this. It is in the
            files section of our site under the history folder.

            I wrote this as an introduction to the book of stories I would like to
            get published. I left a lot of detail out in order to quickly cover
            basics. It is still revisable at this point and
            constructive criticism is welcome.
            Brad

            Have a safe day and remember, safety is in your hands.

          • Rideout Family
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
              In the circulars there is no listing that any one by the name of Tower ever attended any of the reunions.  The only listing for Winthrop is in the roster.

              WINTHROP TOWER ; age, 26; horn, Saxonville , Mass. ; mechanic; mustered in as priv., Co. A, July 24, '61 ; mustered out, Feb. 19, '63 .

              RootsWeb does have a listing for Morton but nothing for Winthrop.

              http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

              Art

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006

                According to the 1870 census for Adams MA Winthrop Tower was working on the Hoosac Tunnel

                http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/htpage.Html

                Art

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 22, 2006
                  I have looked for other references to Winthrop Tower and found nothing after the 1870 census.  I wonder if he might have been one of the deaths during construction.  There were 195 lives were lost during construction, leading to the nickname "The Bloody Pit."

                  Art