New Descendant contact

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2013
      Greetings 13th Mass Group.

      First I want to thank Art for his previous post on the purpose of the war. I always appreciate group members facilitating discussions. That's one reason I started the group, with hopes that members would get to 'know' each other and share information and ideas.

      I was quite surprised to be contacted this week by the descendent of one of the four 13th Mass men who was killed at the battle of Fredericksburg. Ms. Nancy Chapin wrote me, descended from George Bigelow of Co. C, the poor soldier mentioned on my website who was struck with a piece of shell fired from Hall's Maine Battery, during an artillery duel with the rebels. The 13th were in front of the guns positioned as skirmishers which were firing low -- much too low as Davis reported.

      Taylor was struck in the back the fragment exiting his shoulder. Bigelow lasted a few days before he died. She shared a letter with me written by Lt. O.C. Livermore to a friend describing the incident.

      Bigelow left an infant dau. and wife behind. The child was orphaned at age 11 when her mother died of TB. He was a recruit of '62, so he was only with the regt 4 mos. By the way, she writes that a 'grandson' was shot down in France in WW I.

      I hope to have Ms. C join the group soon. One of our members has some diaries from a Co C man, Horace Renfrew, and I hope to get them in touch with each other.

      Brad
    • Bradley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2013
        I made a mistake in the 3rd Paragraph of this post, writing 'Taylor' instead of 'Bigelow.' I have corrected it - the mgmt.