Letters - Chas. Adams, Co, A., Elliot Pierce, Field & Staff; Albert Liscome, CoC

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013
      Greetings 13th Mass Group:

      Happy New Year

      I'm writing to discuss some new letter transcriptions. I've done about 1/2 of the Albert Liscom letters. They are hard to read and tedious to transcribe. They are most valuable for the earliest period of the regt's history, as CO. C followed its own path in the early months of the war. His later letters reflect the same sentiments of the other letters I have during the 'McDowell' period of the regts history. Liscom got lame and went to a hospital before the battles of late Aug. 1862. - Spent the rest of his time trying to get out of the service !

      I rec'd from the Mass. Historical Society letters from Chas. Adams and Elliot Pierce. Adams' letters are mostly witty banter with his bros. and sisters and friends. (there are only 12) They are good for the F'burg & 1863 winter camp period of the regt. He mentions Maj. Gould as being one of the most popular officers of the regt. He did see the regt as they were passing home in July 1864 and said they looked pretty rough.

      Pierce is wonderful for personality insight on COl. Leonard, and Chaplain Noah Gaylord. His letters cover Sept - Oct 1861; March 1862; Dec 62 -Jan 63. & short note on Gettysburg. Good descriptions of some early marches They include some drawings by artist Henry Bacon, Co D, and Capt Eben Fiske of CO. G. I am not done with the Pierce letters.

      I also transcribed 2 good letters (from Carlisle) of Hollis Johnson, of Berlin Mass.Co F. Wish there were more. Hollis was Killed at 2nd BR.

      I also have a couple other things from Carlyle yet to transcribe.

      If anyone has questions on these mat'ls let me know. Here's something on John Viles, - I still haven't proofed these...

      http://13thmass.blogspot.com/2012/10/letters-of-john-viles.html

      Hopefully a new web page will go up by early Feb (?)