Re: [13thmassgroup] 13th Mass Pension Files

  • ew1863@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2012
      Brad,
      Anyone can use Ancestry.com and Fold3 free of charge at your local National Archive's Regional Center. I know the Regional Center here in Eastern Massachusetts is in Waltham, MA. I have used it many times.

      Ed Welch

      In a message dated 12/8/2012 7:30:22 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, bforbush@... writes:

      Greetings 13thmass Group

      A descendant contacted me, related to Selah Alden, Co D, who was severely wounded in the head May 8, 1864, and died at home later that month.

      Anyway, he and another friend in the Sons of Union Veterans told me about Fold 3

      http://www.fold3.com/

      It is a subscription service, but they have many pension files of 13th Mass men digitized. I believe it costs about $80 a year to join, but you can get a free trial. Also I was told they sometimes offer subscriptions for about $39. Our local Genealogy society sponsors a jamboree each year, and Ancestry.com is a sponsor, and they own Fold 3. At the jamboree you can get the low priced subscription.

      Alden's descendant is sending me some of the digitized pension files. He sent me a list of 13thMass soldiers included at fold 3, but I cannot post that here just now - If you want to know - write me, but most of the men were those KIA. Adna Hall was one, and perhaps Joseph Mann, etc. OR I will post the list as soon as I can.

      Also, I started transcribing the letters of Albert Liscome, CO. C. He gives good detail in his early letters of the doings of that company from Aug 1861 - Aug 1862. After that he was in the hospital, until he got a discharge. (It will be a long while before these are all transcribed)

      Also, the Mass. Historical Society is going to fill an order for me - several letters of Chas. Adams, Co. A, and Elliot C. Pierce, Field and Staff, from their collections. Adam's letters cover the period of the history I am working on now - Spring of '63. Pierce was high up the food chain in the regt and his letters offer a good deal of detail about things in gen'l.