Battle of Fredericksburg

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012
      Greetings 13th Mass Group;

      The new "Battle of Fredericksburg" page is up at the website. The page was well under way in the Spring of this year, but I had to drop it to prepare for my Antietam talk.

      I resumed work in mid September, adding a few letters and essays, and editing images for the page.

      The 13th Mass were very lucky at this horrific battle, which gained nothing but despondency for the Army of the Potomac. They acted as skirmishers for the Grand Left Division of Gen. Burnside's massive army.

      Consequently their casualties were light. Their brigade which charged the Rebel lines suffered heavy casualties. 4 men of the regiment were killed at Fredericksburg on the skirmish line. I have not been able to discover if any of the 12 or so wounded men died from their wounds later on - a future project.

      Highlights include Chas. Adams Letter, Geo. Hill's vivid letter, Geo. Jepson's incidents on the skirmish line, (N.M. Putnam and the washbasin is one of my favorite stories), and John S. Fay's gripping account of the late night withdrawl across the river.

      http://www.13thmass.org/1862/battle_%20fredericksburg.html
    • Rideout Family

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2012

            Nice job
            Thanks

            Mike rounds

            T-Mobile, America's First Nationwide 4G Network