John Viles Letters

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2012
      Greetings 13th Mass Group,
      Just thought I'd let the group know I'm in the midst of transcribing about 100 war time letters of John Viles, who was the arranger of the 13th Mass Band, and who mustered out with the band the end of Aug 1862, in the midst of John Pope's disastrous summer campaign.

      Viles wrote to his wife in Waltham. Not being in the ranks the band made their own living arrangements in towns when they could, and were free to comment on the hard life of the soldiers that they witnessed but didn't have to fully participate in. The letters are short, but occasional valuable details about the regt can be found. I'm about 1/2 way through and hope to post them here when done.

      I also rec'd a good batch of letter transcriptions of the letters of Charles Leland, who was sadly, killed at Gettysburg. I've never had enough of Leland's letters to post, but that has changed now, so they will eventually make it onto the website.

      I'm occasionally helping group member Sherry Dunn with comments on the letters written by her ancestor, Frank Hartford, CO. F. Sherry hopes to publish the letters sometime in the distant future.

      I'm not doing much on the website right now. I have to make a few adjustments to the Antietam page before continuing, and I haven't started.

      Is it helpful to group members if I post these letter transcriptions up here at the group in a folder ?

      Cheers
      Brad
    • LisaM
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2012
        Hi Brad,
        Yes it would be helpful...
        I hope you aren't thinking nobody reads your posts! I do!
        If it is not too much trouble, I would like to see anything you are working on...
        As always, your efforts are appreciated!

        Lisa

        --- In 13thmassgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Bradley" <bforbush@...> wrote:

        > Greetings 13th Mass Group,
        > Just thought I'd let the group know I'm in the midst of transcribing about 100 war time letters of John Viles, who was the arranger of the 13th Mass Band, and who mustered out with the band the end of Aug 1862, in the midst of John Pope's disastrous summer campaign.
        >
        > Viles wrote to his wife in Waltham. Not being in the ranks the band made their own living arrangements in towns when they could, and were free to comment on the hard life of the soldiers that they witnessed but didn't have to fully participate in. The letters are short, but occasional valuable details about the regt can be found. I'm about 1/2 way through and hope to post them here when done.
        >
        > I also rec'd a good batch of letter transcriptions of the letters of Charles Leland, who was sadly, killed at Gettysburg. I've never had enough of Leland's letters to post, but that has changed now, so they will eventually make it onto the website.
        >
        > I'm occasionally helping group member Sherry Dunn with comments on the letters written by her ancestor, Frank Hartford, CO. F. Sherry hopes to publish the letters sometime in the distant future.
        >
        > I'm not doing much on the website right now. I have to make a few adjustments to the Antietam page before continuing, and I haven't started.
        >
        > Is it helpful to group members if I post these letter transcriptions up here at the group in a folder ?
        >
        > Cheers
        > Brad

      • Bradley
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15, 2012
          OK Lisa, I'll post them here once they are transcribed and proofread. It will take a little more time - I'm up to about No. 60. But I will post the letters of Chas. Leland, CO. B very soon. - Brad