My trip back east

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2012
      Greetings 13th Mass Group.
      I'm hoping a report of my trip east will be of interest to you.

      The talk went well, and several people approached me during the week to tell me they enjoyed it. I intend to post the talk notes to a folder here at the group site as well as a few new pictures.

      I took a private tour of the cornfield/east woods from the perspective of Harsuff's Brigade. Later in the week I had a tour from the Confederate perspective, so I got a good overall picture of the battle from both sides. I highly recommend a guided tour if you visit the Antietam Battlefield. The guides can customize a tour for you, or present you with an overview of the entire battle. Jim Rosebrock gave me the custom tour. Here is the tour guide site:
      http://antietamguides.com/
      (IF links are not active, paste them in your browser).

      I visited the Army Museum in Carlisle and took over 800 pictures of soldiers' letters, mostly from John Viles, of the 13th Mass Band, and Albert Liscom of Co. C. I have a lot of transcribing to do. (if anyone cares to assist perhaps we can arrange something).

      I also got images from Chas. Roundy's manuscript. I have scans of Roundy's larger illustrations on the website, but I did not have the smaller ones until now.

      Tom Clemens who wrote this book:
      http://marylandcampaign.com/
      Gave me several letters of correspondence between 13th Mass soldiers Chas. Davis, Lt-Col. Hovey, and R.B. Henderson, with John Gould, who was helping Ezra Carmen research the Antietam Battle. The correspondence is from 1890-91.

      I visited Gettysburg, and Timothy Smith gave me a quick private tour of Oak Ridge where the 13th fought July 1st 1863. Apparently there is a lot of mis-information that persists to this day about the fighting here.

      The next day I visited Tim at the Adam's County Historical Society and copied Jenny McCreary's civilian account of the battle. Three wounded officers of the 13th Mass were at her home after the first days fight, Col. Leonard, Capt. Moses Palmer, and Surgeon Edgar Parker, who was wounded on the steps of Christ Lutheran Church in town, the First Corps Hospital.

      I was fortunate to receive a tour of the church from Tom Landers, a member of the Congregation. The church holds a service during the summer, in which some of the events that happened there are read by actors, accompanied by music. Sgt. Austin Stearns account is prominently featured in the service. I was not able to attend one of these but a recording of it was given to me. You can learn more at their site here:
      http://christgettysburg.net/

      Before leaving the area I stopped in the historic district of Frederick, MD, to tour the Museum of CW Medicine.

      http://www.civilwarmed.org/museum/visit-us/

      I HIGHLY Recommend this museum. Admission is $7.00 I met two of the directors at the seminar, and they invited me to visit. Gordon Damann, has written several books on CW medicine. He is also a collector, and has several items relating to 13th Mass surgeons Edgar Parker and John Heard. Heard was eventually promoted to Medical Director the of the 4th Army Corps, (Sherman's Army) but he started out with the 13th Mass. Gordon has set up an exhibit at the Pry House, McClellan's Headquarters at Antietam Nat'l Battlefield, and it is worth seeing.

      Frederick, MD is also a very pretty little town.

      Eventually this new information and material will make its way into the website, but I find now, that the project is getting far too large for me to handle alone in a timely fashion.

      Best Wishes
      Brad
    • Rideout Family