New pictures posted

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2006
      Hello group members. I went to a genealogical library today and
      found
      several very interesting pictures relating to the regt. I photocopied
      the pictures and added them to the site. Included are engravings
      from
      Frank Leslies Illustrated Weekly of Cedar Mtn. activity at night. It
      clearly shows McDowell's brigade marching during the rebel shelling
      which is described in the regt. History.

      Also, May 8, 1864, Alsop Farm near Spotsylvania - a picture of Gen.
      Warrens' troops clashing with Gen. Anderson in the morning. Those
      puffs of smoke and men up on the left of the picture would be 13th
      Mass. troops.

      There was a picture I'd never seen before of several contraband,
      taken in the camp of the 13th at Williamsport. I could not identify
      any of them, but perhaps George Washington is in there and maybe
      Louis Peyton.

      In a US Govt. book called Deeds of Valor I found George Maynard of
      the 13th, who won the Congressional Medal of Honor. To my great
      delight there was an illustration of Capt. Maynard (with the 82nd US
      Vols.) by 13th Mass. alumni, and Famous Artist, Henry Bacon.

      I found two drawings by fledgling artist Bacon in the letter
      collection of Maj. Elliot C. Pierce in the Mass. Historical Society
      in Boston, when I was there last Sept. I have written the society
      for permission to post the drawings and Pierce's diary of 1864
      (Wilderness Campaign) on our site. I also asked for
      permission to post excerpt's of Lt. Fox's letters. (Co.K)

      Lastly, My book manuscript 'Stories from the 13th Mass.'(first draft)
      is ready to send to White
      Mane books for consideration. I may open myself up for criticism by
      posting the introduction when I finally send it off. I'm polishing
      up some of the supplemental materials they requested in
      addition to the manuscript before putting it in the mail. I may be
      hitting some of you up for good copies of photographs of family
      members if they decide to publish!

      Hope you all enjoy this. Brad