The Lowell Archive

  • tsewell227
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
      Dear All,

      I have now joined the 13thmassgroup. It is my pleasure to be part of the group. I see there has been some interest in what I have, and I promise to give more photos as I scan them. I have to implement a new large-format scanner to get the, "Memories of War," album scanned. This is the album of post-war photos of men GGF Lowell stayed in touch with.

      There is a smaller album I have, and have scanned and sent pics to Brad.

      Sadly, Lisa, T.J. Munn is not included in the photo record. I have MANY letters to plow through, so any letters to/from Mr. Munn I may come across you will be notified about.

      In regard to selling any of this archive, I am in a hold mode. Getting an accurate evaluation is probably going to mean some travel with it back east. That trip is on our list of things to do, but not this year. I will gladly scan and share what I have with the group.

      Once again I am honored to be in the 13thmassgroup.

      Regards,
      Tim Sewell
    • Bradley Forbush
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2012
        Dear Tim,
        I also invited your brother as you requested.  I  promise to post to the group the scans of the materials you have already sent.  Many members may not realize, but if you visit the message board or group site home page, there are links to files and photos I have posted over the years.  The website I maintain, now in its 5th year, has taken precedence over the group materials posted, yet there is still a great deal to look at.

        Chief among the materials posted are many of the Letters of Harvard Educated John B. Noyes.  The letters covering the Williamsport period of the history of the regt are available for members to download and read.  There are some diaries posted too.

        And Thank you Tim, for generously offering to share your archive with us.  James Lowell of Co. A, was a frequent correspondent to the 13th Mass Association after the war, and I already knew quite a bit about him.  The archive is a treasure beyond that however, for many of Lowell's comrades made a name for themselves in the west.

        Cheers
        Brad

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
          Dear Tim,
          I appreciate you looking through your materials and sharing it very much! I would expect my great great grandfather to be referred to as either Jeff or Jefferson. He was from Melrose.
          Regardless, I am excited to be able to view what you have and thank you so much for taking the time to share!

          Lisa Munn Haynes

          --- In 13thmassgroup@yahoogroups.com, "tsewell227" <atsewell@...> wrote:

          > Dear All,
          >
          > I have now joined the 13thmassgroup. It is my pleasure to be part of the group. I see there has been some interest in what I have, and I promise to give more photos as I scan them. I have to implement a new large-format scanner to get the, "Memories of War," album scanned. This is the album of post-war photos of men GGF Lowell stayed in touch with.
          >
          > There is a smaller album I have, and have scanned and sent pics to Brad.
          >
          > Sadly, Lisa, T.J. Munn is not included in the photo record. I have MANY letters to plow through, so any letters to/from Mr. Munn I may come across you will be notified about.
          >
          > In regard to selling any of this archive, I am in a hold mode. Getting an accurate evaluation is probably going to mean some travel with it back east. That trip is on our list of things to do, but not this year. I will gladly scan and share what I have with the group.
          >
          > Once again I am honored to be in the 13thmassgroup.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Tim Sewell

        • LisaM
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012
            One thing I haven't gotten around to doing is comparing names of the people in his pension file who gave affidavits regarding his service or identity to the roster of the 13th soldiers. It may give me an idea of who he associated with...

            Lisa

            --- In 13thmassgroup@yahoogroups.com, "tsewell227" <atsewell@...> wrote:

            > Dear All,
            >
            > I have now joined the 13thmassgroup. It is my pleasure to be part of the group. I see there has been some interest in what I have, and I promise to give more photos as I scan them. I have to implement a new large-format scanner to get the, "Memories of War," album scanned. This is the album of post-war photos of men GGF Lowell stayed in touch with.
            >
            > There is a smaller album I have, and have scanned and sent pics to Brad.
            >
            > Sadly, Lisa, T.J. Munn is not included in the photo record. I have MANY letters to plow through, so any letters to/from Mr. Munn I may come across you will be notified about.
            >
            > In regard to selling any of this archive, I am in a hold mode. Getting an accurate evaluation is probably going to mean some travel with it back east. That trip is on our list of things to do, but not this year. I will gladly scan and share what I have with the group.
            >
            > Once again I am honored to be in the 13thmassgroup.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Tim Sewell

          • Tim Sewell
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2012

              My pleasure Lisa.  As I said, I’ll keep sharing as I get things sorted.

              Cheers,