New Web Page is Up

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2012
      Greetings Everyone,
      I've completed the latest chapter in the history of the 13th Mass.

      http://www.13thmass.org/1862/fredericksburg.html

      Not long ago, I rec'd the war memoirs of Sgt. John S. Fay, Co. F, so his voice has been added to the narrative. Fay was the most severely maimed man of the regt, wounded April 30 1863 near the Fitzhugh House.

      More on that in time.

      The new page covers the march south from Antietam to Fredericksburg, the sacking of Gen. McClellan and his replacement by Gen. Burnside, and lots of cold rain and snow.

      The next page will be about the battle itself. (I just visited the battlefield last month.)

      I won't have any time for the website for a while. Other projects need attention.
      Cheers
      Brad
    • Brad Forbush
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2014
        Greetings 13thMassGroup;

        I have updated and posted two new pages to the website.

        The "Darnestown" page has been updated with some wonderful new material
        I rec'd from the Massachusetts Historical Society Last year; -
        correspondence between Elliot C. Pierce and his sister Hannah Frances
        Pierce. This includes a sketch of Pierce by Artist Henry Bacon, Co.
        D. At the time, Pierce was Sgt. Major. He rose to rank of Major in
        the regt. and was the last officer to leave the front lines at Petersburg.

        I have also added more useful history about this period with letters,
        maps, pictures, and information about the Cheseapeake and Ohio Canal,
        from my friend Timothy Syder's book, "Trembling in the Balance." The
        C&O was an important transportation route during the war, and the
        Confederates kept attacking it, which is why the 13th were in W. Md in 1861.

        I have added a bran new page from this period of the history, Camp
        Boston, Frederick City Junction. Until 2 years ago I did not have any
        information about Company C's detached service at Monocacy in Sept.
        1861. I now have several interesting newspaper clippings, 2 letters of
        Albert Liscom, and a report from Capt John Kurtz to Col. Leonard. 48
        year old Kurtz soon left the 13th on Sept. 25, to accept a higher
        commission in the 23rd Mass. A picture and biography of Kurtz are on
        this short page.

        http://www.13thmass.org/1861/darnestown.html

        Everyone may be interested to know the next step is to put up a search
        capability on the site. Web designer Walter Barry gave me a prototype
        to play around with, so I will be setting aside everything else to get
        this functional.