New Web Page is Up

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 26, 2012
      Greetings Everyone,
      I've completed the latest chapter in the history of the 13th Mass.

      http://www.13thmass.org/1862/fredericksburg.html

      Not long ago, I rec'd the war memoirs of Sgt. John S. Fay, Co. F, so his voice has been added to the narrative. Fay was the most severely maimed man of the regt, wounded April 30 1863 near the Fitzhugh House.

      More on that in time.

      The new page covers the march south from Antietam to Fredericksburg, the sacking of Gen. McClellan and his replacement by Gen. Burnside, and lots of cold rain and snow.

      The next page will be about the battle itself. (I just visited the battlefield last month.)

      I won't have any time for the website for a while. Other projects need attention.
      Cheers
      Brad
    • Brad Forbush
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2014
        Greetings 13thMassGroup;

        I have updated and posted two new pages to the website.

        The "Darnestown" page has been updated with some wonderful new material
        I rec'd from the Massachusetts Historical Society Last year; -
        correspondence between Elliot C. Pierce and his sister Hannah Frances
        Pierce. This includes a sketch of Pierce by Artist Henry Bacon, Co.
        D. At the time, Pierce was Sgt. Major. He rose to rank of Major in
        the regt. and was the last officer to leave the front lines at Petersburg.

        I have also added more useful history about this period with letters,
        maps, pictures, and information about the Cheseapeake and Ohio Canal,
        from my friend Timothy Syder's book, "Trembling in the Balance." The
        C&O was an important transportation route during the war, and the
        Confederates kept attacking it, which is why the 13th were in W. Md in 1861.

        I have added a bran new page from this period of the history, Camp
        Boston, Frederick City Junction. Until 2 years ago I did not have any
        information about Company C's detached service at Monocacy in Sept.
        1861. I now have several interesting newspaper clippings, 2 letters of
        Albert Liscom, and a report from Capt John Kurtz to Col. Leonard. 48
        year old Kurtz soon left the 13th on Sept. 25, to accept a higher
        commission in the 23rd Mass. A picture and biography of Kurtz are on
        this short page.

        http://www.13thmass.org/1861/darnestown.html

        Everyone may be interested to know the next step is to put up a search
        capability on the site. Web designer Walter Barry gave me a prototype
        to play around with, so I will be setting aside everything else to get
        this functional.
        Brad
      • bforbush@att.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 14, 2016
          Greetings 13thMass Group!

          I hope everyone is doing well considering all the crazy events of late.

          There is a new page posted to the website for Gettysburg, July 2nd.  This was another difficult page to build.  I have been working on Gettysburg for 3 years now !!!!

           Many thanks to Eric Locher for sharing William Warner's manuscript entries for Gettysburg.  Also to Will Glenn for sharing Bourne Spooner, but I don't think Will is a member of this group.  And, Mr. Perry, if you are still with the group,--- David Sloss's letter is on the page too!

          Anyway, please take a moment to scroll through it, just to see how it looks and let me know what you all think.

          -- I actually got to visit the field several times since November to walk the ground.  This page benefits a great deal from that experience.  See the section titled "Where Were They exactly...?

          Here is the link

          The 13th Mass at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863

          Best wishes
          Brad

        • Eric Locher
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 14, 2016
            Brad:

            Thank you for your kind comments. Your efforts, however, are extraordinary.  The website is fabulous; and your blog is a labor of respect, admiration and appreciation for the men of the 13th, as well as the men and women who supported them.

            I'm reaching out to some publicists to see if the diary is worthy of being printed.  I'll keep you apprised in my progress.

            Keep up your great work.  We will talk soon.

            Best,
            Eric J. Locher

            The 13th Mass at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863

            Best wishes
            Brad

          • Rideout Family

              The 13th Mass at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863

              The 13th Mass at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863
              The 13th Mass at the Battle of Gettysburg
              Preview by Yahoo

              Best wishes
              Brad

            • bforbush@att.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 24, 2016
                Thanks everyone who got back to me.  I'm very proud of the July 2nd page.  Several more 'Gettysburg' pages are in various stages of completion.

                 I want to add, the page for July 3rd is laid out, and shouldn't take too long to post.  But I am having trouble finding suitable pictures to add to the text (out side of illustrations of 'Pickett's Charge' ).  Austin Stearns and Bourne Spooner provide some very interesting narratives but I cannot find anything appropriate to accompany them.   There is not a lot of 13th Mass. material - on this page, but not being able to locate appropriate  pictures to use makes it harder to finish up.

                The following page "Aftermath of Battle" is also generally laid out.  It has  many more source materials  from members of the regiment and the brigade.  We have continuations of George Henry Hill's letter, Melvin Walker, John Shaw, and others, with some obituaries.  I think it will be a good page.  It will follow the July 3rd Page.

                There is also a page listing 'casualties'.  This information was put together by Ed Welch - one of the 13th Mass Re-enactors.  I'd like to add some information to the list and perhaps some biographies and a few pictures of the men where I have them.  This will be a stand alone page.  I could just post it now but I am being methodical about all this.

                I am debating whether or not to include 'official reports' on a page of its own, or just using a few of them on the aftermath page -- or skipping them altogether.

                Best wishes to all,

                Brad
              • Susan Andrade