New Web Page is Up

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 11, 2012
      Greetings 13thmass group!
      Here is the link to the newest page of the website. Highlights are the picture and bio of the 3 Cary Bros. who served as officers in the regiment, photo courtesy of descendant & group member Peggy Moss.

      http://www.13thmass.org/1862/interlude.html

      The bio of Bob Armstrong and Gen'l Hartsuff comes from the 13th Mass. Circulars.

      The memoirs of John S. Fay are new. John Hennessy sent them to me from Fredericksburg Nat'l Park, Donated by Peter Bolan, who WAS a group member, at one time. Peter would be about 95 today.

      Anyway, comments on the material always appreciated. Will write more soon.
      Brad
    • Bradley
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2012
        Greetings Everyone,
        I've completed the latest chapter in the history of the 13th Mass.

        http://www.13thmass.org/1862/fredericksburg.html

        Not long ago, I rec'd the war memoirs of Sgt. John S. Fay, Co. F, so his voice has been added to the narrative. Fay was the most severely maimed man of the regt, wounded April 30 1863 near the Fitzhugh House.

        More on that in time.

        The new page covers the march south from Antietam to Fredericksburg, the sacking of Gen. McClellan and his replacement by Gen. Burnside, and lots of cold rain and snow.

        The next page will be about the battle itself. (I just visited the battlefield last month.)

        I won't have any time for the website for a while. Other projects need attention.
        Cheers
        Brad
      • Brad Forbush
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2014
          Greetings 13thMassGroup;

          I have updated and posted two new pages to the website.

          The "Darnestown" page has been updated with some wonderful new material
          I rec'd from the Massachusetts Historical Society Last year; -
          correspondence between Elliot C. Pierce and his sister Hannah Frances
          Pierce. This includes a sketch of Pierce by Artist Henry Bacon, Co.
          D. At the time, Pierce was Sgt. Major. He rose to rank of Major in
          the regt. and was the last officer to leave the front lines at Petersburg.

          I have also added more useful history about this period with letters,
          maps, pictures, and information about the Cheseapeake and Ohio Canal,
          from my friend Timothy Syder's book, "Trembling in the Balance." The
          C&O was an important transportation route during the war, and the
          Confederates kept attacking it, which is why the 13th were in W. Md in 1861.

          I have added a bran new page from this period of the history, Camp
          Boston, Frederick City Junction. Until 2 years ago I did not have any
          information about Company C's detached service at Monocacy in Sept.
          1861. I now have several interesting newspaper clippings, 2 letters of
          Albert Liscom, and a report from Capt John Kurtz to Col. Leonard. 48
          year old Kurtz soon left the 13th on Sept. 25, to accept a higher
          commission in the 23rd Mass. A picture and biography of Kurtz are on
          this short page.

          http://www.13thmass.org/1861/darnestown.html

          Everyone may be interested to know the next step is to put up a search
          capability on the site. Web designer Walter Barry gave me a prototype
          to play around with, so I will be setting aside everything else to get
          this functional.