Antietam

  • Bradley
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 15, 2011
      Greetings 13th Mass Group;
      I've been finishing the book "Landscape Turned Red" by Stephen Sears in preparation for posting the website's new page on the Antietam campaign.

      Basically the two sides tragically shot it out for a whole day with little result. The Confederates, greatly out-numbered managed to hold their ground. Both sides suffered terrible losses. The 13th played their part early in the morning. I've discovered a passage written by George Smalley of the NY Tribune, in their official history, incorrectly identifies Hartsuff's brigade for Greene's Brigade of the 12th Corps. Smalley describes a Union brigades stand on a ridge south of the cornfield in the morning. It's close to where Hartsuff's brigade stood, but Sears identification of Greene's brigade makes sense to me. I visited the field in 2006.

      On that note, I was providing stories of the 13th to Antietam Nat'l Park chief historian Ted Alexander for his forthcoming book, when he invited me to Chambersburg, PA next year to talk about the 13th Mass at Antietam for one of his famous seminars. It will be in July 2012 for those of you who might wish to come. I was pleased & surprised by the invite, as I consider myself knowledgable, yet not an expert on many aspects of the CW.

      The web site 'Antietam' page will probably still be a while in coming, but its in progress. If any of you have stories you'd like to share that I don't already have feel free to drop me a line.
      Regards
      Brad
    • Al Gurney
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 15, 2011
        Brad:

        I would like to plan on attending the seminar next July at Antietam.

        Please keep me posted.

        Al

        On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Bradley <bforbush@...> wrote:

[...]

      • GregT
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2011
          Hi Brad,

          Coincidentally, I am currently reading "Landscape Turned Red" in preparation for my upcoming vacation trip to Antietam and other Civil War sites in Maryland and Virginia. I will be looking forward to your webpage on Antietam.

          Regards,
          Greg Taylor
          www.letters1862-1864.blogspot.com

          --- In 13thmassgroup@yahoogroups.com, "Bradley" <bforbush@...> wrote:

          > Greetings 13th Mass Group;
          > I've been finishing the book "Landscape Turned Red" by Stephen Sears in preparation for posting the website's new page on the Antietam campaign.
          >
          > Basically the two sides tragically shot it out for a whole day with little result. The Confederates, greatly out-numbered managed to hold their ground. Both sides suffered terrible losses. The 13th played their part early in the morning. I've discovered a passage written by George Smalley of the NY Tribune, in their official history, incorrectly identifies Hartsuff's brigade for Greene's Brigade of the 12th Corps. Smalley describes a Union brigades stand on a ridge south of the cornfield in the morning. It's close to where Hartsuff's brigade stood, but Sears identification of Greene's brigade makes sense to me. I visited the field in 2006.
          >
          > On that note, I was providing stories of the 13th to Antietam Nat'l Park chief historian Ted Alexander for his forthcoming book, when he invited me to Chambersburg, PA next year to talk about the 13th Mass at Antietam for one of his famous seminars. It will be in July 2012 for those of you who might wish to come. I was pleased & surprised by the invite, as I consider myself knowledgable, yet not an expert on many aspects of the CW.
          >
          > The web site 'Antietam' page will probably still be a while in coming, but its in progress. If any of you have stories you'd like to share that I don't already have feel free to drop me a line.
          > Regards
          > Brad

        • Bradley Forbush
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 15, 2011
            Ted asked me to stick to first hand accounts of the soldiers of the 13th at the Battle.  I have several of them, and thought I would also provide "what happened to the soldier" as part of the talk.

            Most of this stuff will probably be on the web page, I usually don't hold back, but the entire seminar will be on the battle for the 150th anniversary.  A friend of mine gave a talk and advised me to prepare something that can run as short as 1/2 hour or as long as 45 minutes as Ted, often has to juggle schedules during the seminars.  In other words, it may be a short talk.  I believe the date will be July 25, 2012.  I will keep everyone posted !

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 15, 2011
              Dear Brad Forbush:
                 Your talk sounds quite interesting.

                 My OTHER great-grandfather, William Frederick Martch, also fought at Antietam. According to family history, he enlisted in the 3rd Wisconsin Infantry, Company A on April 18, 1861, was wounded at Antietam, and discharged on March 9, 1863 with a disability. He re-enlisted in the 49th Wisconsin Infantry, Company G on February 15, 1965 where he served as a sergeant until November 8, 1865. William Martch was a German immigrant.
                 William Martch was my father's father's father, John Best my father's mother's father.

              Sincerely,
              Nancy Martsch

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2011
                Nancy,
                You might be interested in this link from the state of Wisconsin:

                http://civilwarwisconsin.com/

                (if link is not active past it in your browser).

                I read about it on  a Civil War blog I follow.  They are posting lots of first hand accounts from soldiers.

                Best wishes
                Brad

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3 1:47 PM
                  Greetings 13th Mass Group,
                  Happy Independence Day! (tomorrow) (Today is my dad's birthday by the way).

                  Just to sound off, I'm pleased to announce I completed the introduction for the forthcoming 'Antietam' page of my website. The objective is to describe the campaign and battle clearly, accurately, and in as few sentences as possible.

                  To aid me, I commandeered a short clip of the battle synopsis provided by Antietam National Battlefield Park. This saves me much worry and time. Again, Stephen Sears book 'Landscape Turned Red" was invaluable.

                  I feel like I finally understand what happened that day after the 13th left the field. Usually my understandings of such things ends when the participation of the regiment ends. I'm excited about this page, which will hopefully be up soon, because I will be moving into new territory.

                  I have read a lot about Gettysburg, July 1, 1863, and even Grant's Overland Campaign, but my knowledge of Fredericksburg, & Chancellorseville, are more rudimentary. (I was going to say 'perfunctory' but that was not a perfunct usage of the word!)

                  I'm looking forward to studying these a bit more in depth.
                  Cheers
                  Brad
                • Bradley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 9, 2011
                    Greetings 13thmass Group:
                    Here is the link to the new history page of the website about Antietam. Some highlights include John S. Fay's unpublished memoir, Lt. Fox's Casualty report and the story of Adna P. Hall. I hope you enjoy it.
                    Brad

                    http://www.13thmass.org/1862/antietam.html
                  • Al Gurney
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 10, 2011
                      Thank you Brad for this fantastic account of the Antietam campaign. I would also like to thank you for remembering my great great grandfather Adna P. Hall. He was a simple man and other than his name being engraved on the civil war monument in Natick, not much of his service was ever recorded. Adna's breast plate was a surprise to me, because I never knew that it existed. That battle changed our family forever because from that moment on, we became the Gurney family instead of being the Hall's.

                      I always look forward to your work.

                      As a side note to the members, Brad and I were talking about where we grew up and he mentioned that Windsor CT was his home town. I told him that my college roommate was from Windsor and we discovered that they were next door neighbors. I had visited my roommate's home on many occasions and have to wonder if I ever saw Brad. It's a small world.

                      Al Gurney