New blog post

  • bradley
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009
      For my group members not on facebook, I've posted a new article up at my blog:
      http://13thmass.blogspot.com/

      The article should be old news for most of you, its about the John Brown Bell and Mrs. Ensminger/Snyder's part in keeping the bell for the boys of Co. I for 30 years. (The story has been told on the website's Harper's Ferry Page, but the blog version is a bit more embellished.)

      October 16, is the 150th Anniversary of John Brown's famous raid on Harper's Ferry. The history of the 13th Mass is forever linked to the raid because of the bell.

      IF I didn't announce it already, an article of mine is scheduled to run in the January issue of America's Civil War. I sold the article last year, but it is only going to print now. I will keep you posted. The article is titled "The Three Ponies of Company B."

      For the website, I have an outline of pages to be built for the entire history of the regiment. There are 3 more pages before I make it to the 2nd Battle of Bull Run, which I think deserves its own page; But I haven't had time to work on the new pages. The title for the next installment I think, will be "Blame it on General McDowell" just to give you an idea of the nature of the material. It will cover the period from May 12, '62 - June 26, when Gen'l Pope's Army of Va. was organized.

      I don't know if any of the descendants are interested, but every year in Nov. the 13th Mass re-enactors gather at Gettysburg for a Veterans Day Service. They gather at the monument of the 13th Mass. It's a huge event. If you are interested drop me a line for more info., and I can get you in touch with some of the people.