New Website Page

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2009
      Good News Everyone!
      (I used to like that when the professor said it on 'Futurama.')

      The new web-page 'With Old Crummy to Camp Misery" is posted at 13thmass.org

      Here is the link:
      http://13thmass.org/1862/abercrombie.html

      This is a very large page with lots of large photographs and images. It is best viewed with a window about 800 pixels wide. If you have dial up or an old version of Windows Explorer (earlier than Internet Explorer 6)you may have trouble with this page. If you have dial-up, it will take a long while to load.

      This page is the first to use CSS coding. I was unexpectedly surprised to find the previous bugs in the page disappeared when my firefox browser was updated. So the bug I was experiencing was only a browser problem on my computer. So, I was able to post this page sooner than expected.

      As usual, comments and error reports would be appreciated. This will probably be the last new page I post for two or three months.

      There is also a new post at my blog. (its linked from the website now) I'm trying to post a new article every week around Friday. We'll see how it goes...
      Best Wishes
      Brad
    • bradley
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 31, 2009
        Happy New Year 13th Mass Group !
        I've been working all day to get the new page of the website posted this year, and its up. Here is the link:

        http://13thmass.org/1862/mcdowell.html

        I've made a new stylesheet in css. I haven't had a new page up since Sept. This page has a lot tighter layout than the last one.

        The page is designed to flow (get smaller or larger) with your browser window size. Most of the content will fit in an 800 pixel wide window. If you have to scroll to see the content, scroll to the right so you see less of the blue column in your browser window. Then you should see all the content okay.

        I like to view the pages with a full screen. I close the bookmarks tab etc. but the layout of the page should work okay if you don't.

        The page appeared to be buggy in internet explorer, (I have v. 7.0) but I've been told it looks okay in the latest v. of explorer. Please let me know if you have problems.
        Enjoy !
        More later...
        Brad
      • mossharry@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2010
          Thanks Brad, looks great, Happy New Year to you also.
          Regards, Harry Moss

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2010
            I've just made some improvements to this new page. I've also greatly improved the previous page in the chronology, about gen'l Abercrombie. The photos in the new pages are designed to shrink with the browser windows. If you haven't checked out the new pages now would be a good time.

            I viewed the new pages in my nephew's Toshiba Laptop using windows explorer (v.8) and a screen resolution about 800 - 900 dpi. The pages were much brighter (washed out) and the typeface was larger, and the pictures weren't fitting on the page too well in some instances. I've tightened up the left margin of the content, and fixed the photos so they should scale somewhat to your browser window.

            (I have a high end graphics monitor so I don't see many of these problems) I hope these changes make the site more enjoyable. I may also darken up the grey bg for the Table of Contents.
            Best wishes to all
            Brad.

            --- In 13thmassgroup@yahoogroups.com, "bradley" <bforbush@...> wrote:

            > Happy New Year 13th Mass Group !
            > I've been working all day to get the new page of the website posted this year, and its up. Here is the link:
            >
            > http://13thmass.org/1862/mcdowell.html
            >
            > I've made a new stylesheet in css. I haven't had a new page up since Sept. This page has a lot tighter layout than the last one.
            >
            > The page is designed to flow (get smaller or larger) with your browser window size. Most of the content will fit in an 800 pixel wide window. If you have to scroll to see the content, scroll to the right so you see less of the blue column in your browser window. Then you should see all the content okay.
            >
            > I like to view the pages with a full screen. I close the bookmarks tab etc. but the layout of the page should work okay if you don't.
            >
            > The page appeared to be buggy in internet explorer, (I have v. 7.0) but I've been told it looks okay in the latest v. of explorer. Please let me know if you have problems.
            > Enjoy !
            > More later...
            > Brad

          • bradley
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2010
              Greetings 13th Mass Group.

              I'm very pleased to announce the latest page of the website is uploaded to 13thmass.org

              Here is the address/link:

              http://13thmass.org/1862/front_royal.html

              (I hope that is a live link when this message posts).

              I'm very proud of this page. I had help with material from the archivist at the Warren Heritage Society in Front Royal, Va. In addition to photographs, this adds some Southern point of views to the page.

              It seems as the history progresses the pages take longer to build. I've added a section on Stonewall's Valley Campaign of 1862 because that is the reason the 13th Mass went to Front Royal in the first place, even though they acted as a reserve, and didn't chase Jackson.

              There is also a bit about the origin of the "John Brown Song."

              The next page to be built begins the campaign that ended with the 2nd Battle of Bull Run. But progress on the site is probably going to slow down considerably. Its already taking about 3 months per page instead of 1.5 mos.

              Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. The site is beginning to get some notice from historians outside our group!

              Kind Regards
              Brad
            • bforbush@att.net
              Message 6 of 6 , May 16, 2010
                Greetings 13th Mass Group!
                With some hesitancy, I'm announcing a new page posted at the website:

                http://13thmass.org/1862/pope.html

                This covers late June, 1862 - Battle of Cedar Mountain. The summer started off slowly, but the hard campaigning began with Cedar Mtn and didn't let up until after Antietam, Sept. 17.

                I have a great Henry Bacon Lithograph at the top of the page from the Boston Athenaeum. It depicts 4th of July 1861, and 4th of July 1862 as drawn by Bacon, a member of the 13th Mass., CO. D.

                Size limitations prevent me from posting a hi-res file, but its pretty good detail. I hope you find this image as interesting as I do. It costs a bit to obtain.

                I am reluctant to announce the new page, because it seems it loses shape in Microsoft Internet explorer browsers. I added a new feature to the page, a side bar listing the regiments in the same division as the 13th Mass. The sidebar is not perfectly centered, but IF the box & text hold together, I'll be happy for now.

                So, once again, please give the page a once over and let me know how it holds up in the browser you are using. If you find any distortions of images or page layout breaks or broken links or broken 'boxes' let me know. I've been building 'liquid' style pages. They are designed to adjust/flow a little with the size of your browser window, but I'm seriously considering changing over to a fixed width - static page layout.

                The history of the regiment really begins to heat up beginning with Cedar Mtn. I look forward to presenting the next two pages in the future.
                Enjoy