Update- New Blog

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2009
      Greetings 13th Mass Group.
      I have started a blog to reach a wider audience. A publisher advised me to develop more of a web presence to further my writing aspirations and it seems like the right time to do this.

      Unlike Facebook, you don't need to join to see and comment on the blog.
      http://13thmass.blogspot.com/
      Thats the address.

      The next two pages of the website are strong. Almost done (?)
      Dealing with the Western Reserve Hist. Soc. in Ohio took alot of time. They want too much money to use images from their holdings and require a watermark on each image. Too bad because James E. Taylor illustrated several places in the Shenandoah Valley where the 13th Mass bivouaced; some places that no one else illustrated. I have found replacement images for about 5 (of the 8 or so) of Taylor's illustrations.

      I don't mind paying reasonable fees to repository's and tried to make a special arrangement with the Western Reserve, but they weren't interested. Most places let me post transcriptions of letters for free but images sometimes have fees attached. I've been very fortunate so far in keeping these to a minimum. I just made arrangements to excerpt extensive quotes from Sam Webster's manuscript, with the Huntington Library in San Marino, for $25.00.

      Editing in the pictures, (and finding appropriate images) is the hardest part of building my website pages. I take the images seriously. That is what I'm doing now for the next two pages which will carry the history of the regt. into May, 1862.

      Technical glitches have also caused delays, but I hope to have both pages up at the end of the month or sooner.

      Best wishes to all