website update

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hi Group Members
      Today, June 2nd is the anniversary of the launch of 13thmass.org
      I was hoping to post a new page today but I'm still waiting for permission from the West Point Military Museum to use one of their images for the banner of 'Williamsport 62' -the new page. That will determine when I post.

      I've also been unsuccessful in reaching a descendant of Co A who has a letter I'd like to use on the new page.

      I did receive some nice images from the Hancock Historical Society to add to the Hancock page.

      I'm adding new material to the following pages on the site:
      Ft. Independence, Departure, Sharpsburg, Darnestown, Hancock & Williamsport 61. These include pictures and letters and articles & a diagram of the camp layout at Darnestown. These changes are about half done.

      Hopefully all these changes will be posted before too long to celebrate the anniversary of the site.

      Tomorrow I'm traveling to Charlotte, NC for a week which will delay progress a bit.

      Brad
    • Istarshiptrooper@aol.com

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
          Brad:

          I live in Charlotte.  As you may recall, I have the William R. Warner Diary.  Would you like to see it?

          My mobile phone number is 704.517.7600.  Let me know if you would like to meet.

          Thanks,
          Eric Locher
          T:  704.377.7600
          M: 704.517.7600

        • bforbush@att.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2014
            Greetings 13thmass group!

            I thought I would post a quick update here.

            The website had its 6th birthday earlier this month, actually between May 25th and June 8th.  So it is entering its 7th year.

            In November, I began the next page of the site, about the Army of the Potomac's march north under General Hooker, in what became the Gettysburg Campaign.  The rough layout of the page was worked up by December.  But around Jan - Feb, I started researching the cavalry battles of Aldie, Middleburg, and Upperville, June 17 - 21, 1863.  My gg grandfather was present at these battles and I wanted to include a section about them on the new page. (He was with 3rd US Artillery)

            This turned into a lot of work - and I decided to dedicate a whole page to the fight.  So the new webpage turned into a new 'section' with 3 web pages.

            The Cavalry fights are almost done or I should say, they have come a long way - I am adding pictures.  So that is whats been going on, eventually something new will get posted. I'm hoping to have this up by end of July or early August.

            The section after this will be the Battle of Gettysburg.  I have a lot of interesting material for that page and it probably won't take as long to build as I am more familiar with the material than I am with the cavalry battles.

          • falkanat1
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2014
              Did you see the 1885 photo of 13 Mass veterans visiting the Dunker Church Antietam in the Sep 14 issue of America's Civil War?  It's on page 36.

              vr

              Felix

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 30, 2014
                This was last Sep. I take it?

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 30, 2014
                  No...it's the current one.  It says Sep 14 because it comes out quarterly. Just got it in the mail.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 30, 2014
                    I believe I have a copy of this photo, if it shows 4 of the 13th Mass in front of Dunker Church.   Stephen Recker sent it to me and I helped him identify the soldiers in the photo.  He asked me at the time to keep it close so I haven't shared it.  But it is also on display at the Antietam visitors center.

                    Since it is out now, I will post it here -  The photo was taken by Charles Davis, Jr. after the Gettysburg dedication of their monument, 5 of the veterans went on a tour of the places they had been during the war.  Davis was an amateur photographer and brought his camera equipment.  He took over 50 images.

                    His photo of the east woods is one of the earliest post war images of that location.
                    Brad

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 1, 2014
                          Thanks.I did find it odd that with all the regimental photos that were taken of all the different units during this war maybe out of pride or whatever that any 13 Mass.photos were so scarce.Have been trying to find any photos of this regiment for a while without much luck..My G.G.G-fathers name was Nelson Waterhouse and was a halfbreed Penobscot who enlisted as white due to the racial stigma associated with natives at the time..He served as a private and was wounded I believe in the battle of the cornfield.I have conformation papers from his commander on his involvement in that fight to his widow later in her trying to obtain his pension..Anyway,long story..Any photos of this group you can point me towards would be appreciated..Thanks

                            JeffB.