Latest on the 13th Mass

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2009
      Hi everyone,
      I've invited 2 new descendants to join the group and hopefully they'll accept.
      Descendant of John Best, Co. G
      Descendant of James Lacelle Forbes Co. A

      From the Hagerstown Library in Maryland, I rec'd from Mr. John Fry 3 letters of Oliver Walker, Co. C. I've transcribed these and will post them tomorrow. Walker transferred to 24th Mass in Dec. 1861. He was killed in Dec. 1863 while with the 24th. I found a library with a cache of his letters and intend to order them.

      Also I will post some transcribed letters of Charles Leland, Co. B, KIA Gettysburg. The same library that has the Walker letters has some more letters of Chas. Leland.

      I'm going to do some re-organizing of the website before adding new pages for 1862. The re-organization may cause broken links and error messages if you bookmarked pages. I've been getting some technical help to smooth out the process. Please be patient. I will post more on this as it happens and let you all know what to expect.

      Also, I have made an additional 3 educated (?) guesses as to soldiers identities in the Gettysburg Tipton photo that graces our site. They are Charles N. Richards, George Henry Hill, and Larimann H. Russel.

      On top of all this, I have just received a large collection of Phila. Newspaper clippings about the 13th Mass. If anyone is interested I can send you the link to the search-able website. Its starting to get hard to keep up with everything...

      Best wishes to all the group.