Gold 13th MA pin

  • suedoenimh
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
      I have a pin that belonged to Capt. Wm. H. Cary. ( Great Great Uncle). On the front and back, there is a last of battles, presumably those he fought in--Falling Waters,Cedar Mountain,Rappahannock, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville,Wilcerness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Bethesda Church, Jericho Ford, Petersburg. On the top front there is an arm with a sword. On the bottom is a Latin phrase: ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem Are these pins common? Is the Latin a motto for the North or for the 13th MA? Any info would be appreciated.

      And Brad, I definitely don't remember enough Latin to help with those quotations (from Noyes?. The grammar is way too complex.

      Peggy Haskell Moss
    • AJ Arnold
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2009
        Peggy,

        You may have sent this to me by mistake.  I'm just another person researching the 13th Mass.

        I find on the web that the latin quote you ask about is the Massachusetts state motto, meaning: By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.  Here's one of sevral links:  http://www.netstate.com/states/mottoes/ma_motto.htm

        Alan

        I have a pin that belonged to Capt. Wm. H. Cary. ( Great Great Uncle). On the front and back, there is a last of battles, presumably those he fought in--Falling Waters,Cedar Mountain,Rappahanno ck, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Wilcerness, Spottsylvania, Cold Harbor, Bethesda Church, Jericho Ford, Petersburg. On the top front there is an arm with a sword. On the bottom is a Latin phrase: ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem Are these pins common? Is the Latin a motto for the North or for the 13th MA? Any info would be appreciated.

        And Brad, I definitely don't remember enough Latin to help with those quotations (from Noyes?. The grammar is way too complex.

        Peggy Haskell Moss

      • ELocher
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2009
          Peggy, Brad et al:

          Adding to Brad's translation, the following appears in Wikepedia.com:

          Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem

          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

          Jump to: navigation, search

          Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem (Latin "By the sword it seeks peace [but only] under liberty") is a state motto of Massachusetts in the United States, adopted in 1775. It has not been specifically adopted as the motto of the state but has been accepted as an element of the arms and seal of the Commonwealth.

          For the first time it appeared on a state seal and meant that the colony no longer recognized the authority of the Royal Governor General Thomas Gage. The source is attributed to the letter written by a father of an English soldier and politician Algernon Sidney: "It is said that the University of Copenhagen brought their album unto you, desiring you to write something therein; and that you did scribere in albo these words: 'Manus haec inimica tyrannis ense petit placidam sub libertate quietam'".. (Translated, this means "This hand of mine, which is hostile to tyrants, seeks by the sword quiet peace under liberty.") The last words were then written in Sidney's "Book of Mottoes", particularly favored by some in the American colonies.

          Best,
          Eric Locher
          Step-GGGNephew of William R. Warner