Latest research

  • bradley91505
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2009
      Greetings members of the 13th Mass group.

      I thought I would let members know about my latest research. Also, a
      reminder that this message board is for everyone if anyone has
      something to ask or post.

      1. Fairleigh Dickenson Univ. Press is going to review my book
      manuscript "Stories from the 13th Mass." They published Austin
      Stearns memoirs in 1976. I have been tightening up the manuscript
      with some of the newer material I've found since initially putting the
      book together. Most of the material is from the Circulars & Bivouac,
      a military magazine (mid 1880's). I've added soldiers letters to fill
      in gaps. The mss. will be going to FDU this week. The book is still
      on the long side, in spite of trimming material, I've added better
      material. Its always hard to know what to cut, and length matters to
      publishers. It's a bit shorter than the original.

      2. Since Nov. I've been building a web page for - "9 Weeks at Harpers
      Ferry" IT co-incides with the 150th anniversary of John Brown's Raid.
      I'm waiting for permissions from 2 libraries to post materials. Also
      I'm getting involved in some technical design issues regardng building
      web pages. I have to teach myself CSS --a computer language to make
      the pages more efficient & this takes time.

      3. A publisher I respect said my typeface was too hard to read &
      suggested I change the font to times. This turned into a bigger
      problem than I thought, design wise, which is why nothing new has been
      posted since Nov. & why I'm trying to learn CSS.

      Does anyone have any comments about the font being difficult to read?

      4. I've discovered Google Books is a great tool to find information
      about the regt. Just type in a search term, a soldiers name or '13th
      Mass' at Google books, and you'll be surprised what you come up with!!
      They've been digitizing 19th cent. books for the past few years, many
      of which you can now access on line. Hopefully, I will post some of
      these materials here at our group soon.

      Best wishes to all for a prosperous New Year.
      Comments appreciated.