414New Web Page is Up

  • Brad Forbush
    Mar 2, 2014
      Greetings 13thMassGroup;

      I have updated and posted two new pages to the website.

      The "Darnestown" page has been updated with some wonderful new material
      I rec'd from the Massachusetts Historical Society Last year; -
      correspondence between Elliot C. Pierce and his sister Hannah Frances
      Pierce. This includes a sketch of Pierce by Artist Henry Bacon, Co.
      D. At the time, Pierce was Sgt. Major. He rose to rank of Major in
      the regt. and was the last officer to leave the front lines at Petersburg.

      I have also added more useful history about this period with letters,
      maps, pictures, and information about the Cheseapeake and Ohio Canal,
      from my friend Timothy Syder's book, "Trembling in the Balance." The
      C&O was an important transportation route during the war, and the
      Confederates kept attacking it, which is why the 13th were in W. Md in 1861.

      I have added a bran new page from this period of the history, Camp
      Boston, Frederick City Junction. Until 2 years ago I did not have any
      information about Company C's detached service at Monocacy in Sept.
      1861. I now have several interesting newspaper clippings, 2 letters of
      Albert Liscom, and a report from Capt John Kurtz to Col. Leonard. 48
      year old Kurtz soon left the 13th on Sept. 25, to accept a higher
      commission in the 23rd Mass. A picture and biography of Kurtz are on
      this short page.

      http://www.13thmass.org/1861/darnestown.html

      Everyone may be interested to know the next step is to put up a search
      capability on the site. Web designer Walter Barry gave me a prototype
      to play around with, so I will be setting aside everything else to get
      this functional.