408Re: [13thmassgroup] 13th Mass Concert [8 Attachments]

  • Brad Forbush
    Dec 27, 2013
      Nancy !

      Thank you so much for writing and sharing these letters.  I have not read them yet but it brightens my day to get new information about a 13th Mass Soldier, and I have very little information on Company C in the fall of 1862.

      The funny thing is, since you first wrote me, I have been meaning to correspond with you more.  I just haven't gotten around to it.

      I simply must now update the website with the information you sent me about George.  I always put off these updates because I am constantly pushing myself forward to research the next period of the regiments history. -- For instance,  Right now I am working on the march north just before the battle of Gettysburg.  The pages take a lot of work and because I don't do it full time,  it seems to me as if it progresses at a snail's pace.

      Anyway, I will read these, then I will write back.  --   I want to get a little more into the history of George's immediate descendants.  You sent me a wonderful photo, and said one of them was killed in WW I.  If you would like I could put a short biography of his imediate descendants, on the site when I update the Fredericksburg page to include the Livermore letter regarding George's death.  I will write to you more about this soon.

      We had a nice Christmas!  I hope you did too !
      Kind regards
      Brad

      On 12/27/2013 12:55 PM, Nancy Chapin wrote:

      Thank you, Brad, for putting together the songs from the Glee Club’s 1862 performance. Listening to them is such a good way to add another dimension to the picture of what life in the army was like 150 years ago. Thank You!

      I’ve attached two letters (pictures of them and my transcription of them) from George E. Bigelow (Company C) written in October and November 1862.

      We found them when I visited my aunt and uncle at Thanksgiving.

      My uncle brought out a box of old family papers – and the letters were among them. What a find!

      George wrote the letters to his sister, Annie Pollard. They were both written in pencil, but one of them was written over in pen, I assume by George’s daughter, Alice Bigelow Chapin.

      Thanks again for being the collector and presenter of all things 13th Mass!

      I hope you’re having a nice holiday.

      Nancy Chapin

      Great-great-granddaughter of George E Bigelow