Re: Angelfire ads.

  • Chris Kenworthy
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 7:35 AM
      --- Daniel Ortiz <primoloko@...> wrote:
      > anyone knows a script to get rid off the anoying
      > angelfire ad's...?
      >
      > thankz. any help is appreciated.

      No. You can go into your angelfire preferences and pick banner ads at
      the top of your page instead of pop-ups. But you can't get rid of them
      with a script because angelfire's scripts will always take precedence.
      (And because it's the price you pay to have your site hosted by one of
      these places. I suppose there are some sneaky tricks you could try to
      bypass them, but they'd find out sooner or later.)

      Actually, I've got one wild idea. You could have your home page on
      angelfire be nothing more than a huge script that starts a funtion in
      the document.onload event which starts a new document and writes in
      your content. Then, with every link, you could use the same method (the
      link constructs the new page with javascript instead of requesting it
      direct from the server.) This should allow you to get rid of all banner
      ads except one at the beginning, which if it's a top-of-page banner,
      you wouldn't notice for long.

      It would be a very tiresome way to construct a page, and might well
      fall down of its own weight (Even using invisible frame techniques.)

      Hope this has helped you marginally.

      =====
      Chris Kenworthy - Chris_Kenworthy@...
      Btvs guildmember: because fic makes anything possible.
      http://members.fortunecity.com/scoobyhq
      ICQ# 13902767 AOL-IM Screen name: ChrisKenw0
      "This above all, to thine own self be true."

      a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Don Arnett
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 8:05 AM
        I had a page on tripod that had these and I set the preferences to display
        'popup ads' because I found that if I did not close the 'ad' window, but
        selected 'webpage' window so that the 'webpage' window came on top, that the
        'ad' window stayed hidden below the 'webpage' window and I never saw it.

        Tho I suppose that some sites may construct that 'ad' window to stay on top.

        I spend $20 per month for web hosting at Twenty After Four Productions
        (www.20after4.com). They've done very well so far. They are VERY customer
        service oriented and very helpful. But they don't have a lot of tools for
        building your page. They are also Linux based. But these were all things
        that I wanted so I'm very happy with them. For $20/month, I get my own IP
        that I point three domain names at, 50Mb disk space, a MySql database and 5
        email accounts. They support CGI programs/scripts, java, javascript, jsp,
        php, perl... Now if I could just find the time to do something with my
        site.

        > anyone knows a script to get rid off the anoying
        > angelfire ad's...?
        >
        > thankz. any help is appreciated.

        No. You can go into your angelfire preferences and pick banner ads at
        the top of your page instead of pop-ups. But you can't get rid of them
        with a script because angelfire's scripts will always take precedence.
        (And because it's the price you pay to have your site hosted by one of
        these places. I suppose there are some sneaky tricks you could try to
        bypass them, but they'd find out sooner or later.)

        Actually, I've got one wild idea. You could have your home page on
        angelfire be nothing more than a huge script that starts a funtion in
        the document.onload event which starts a new document and writes in
        your content. Then, with every link, you could use the same method (the
        link constructs the new page with javascript instead of requesting it
        direct from the server.) This should allow you to get rid of all banner
        ads except one at the beginning, which if it's a top-of-page banner,
        you wouldn't notice for long.

        It would be a very tiresome way to construct a page, and might well
        fall down of its own weight (Even using invisible frame techniques.)

        Hope this has helped you marginally.

        =====
        Chris Kenworthy - Chris_Kenworthy@...
        Btvs guildmember: because fic makes anything possible.
        http://members.fortunecity.com/scoobyhq
        ICQ# 13902767 AOL-IM Screen name: ChrisKenw0
        "This above all, to thine own self be true."

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Rune Schinnes
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5 7:47 AM
          How can I make an icon on a website?
          I.e. change the icon with the default IE icon.
          Thus will a visitor that bookmark my website show my icon in favorites.

          Thanks,
          Rune Schinnes