HS Question

  • Dottie
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
      I submitted my intent to teach to my local Board office yesterday.
      The man over the apps. talked t o me today and said he wants me to make out a "specified" plan of study, involving what will be taught in a certain amount of hours each day for four consecutive semesters. (I already have supplied this man with this information) and on the phone he said something to the effect that he doesnt know if any of these people even know what a noun is most of the time.....My blood is starting to boil with these people. Does everybody have to give an in depth, what they're gonna teach detail right down to the last of the year or is that guy just trying to intimidate me? I live in West Virginia,,,is there a difference.

      Dottie
      ~~~~Qara In Yeshua~~~~
    • Cablemodem
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
        The following is what I sent to our HS board. This is the basic outlined form I have sent in each year. As far as specifics, I stated we school every month except June, July and December. As far as the amount of time per day, I stated it was the exact requirement, even though it varies longer/shorter from time to time. We live in Nevada- unsure what specific hoops you need to jump through. Hope this helps.

        Student's Name Trevor Grade 3

        PROPOSED EDUCATIONAL GOALS:

        (DO THIS SEPARATELY FOR EACH CHILD LISTED ON THE FRONT PAGE).

        List each subject plan to teach and briefly describe what you want them to have learned by the end of the year. You may consult (or photo copy the index of your chosen textbooks), your consulting teacher, the Nevada State Department of Education Course of Study, Clark County School District Objectives, your curriculum scope and sequence guide, etc. Remember that setting goals gives you something to shoot for but if for some reason those goals are not met or are exceeded, you can adjust them accordingly the following year. If desired, you may list nonacademic goals such as character or self-esteem building. (See attached examples).

        a.. Reading Trevor is still struggling through the level 2 readers. Though comprehension skills are good he has difficulty transferring his reviews from his thoughts to paper. Currently we are using a hand held tape recorder allowing him to orally report his understanding of what was read. He then will transcribe his spoken words onto paper. We will be slowly reducing the tape recorder use and eventually our hope is he will be able to transfer his thoughts onto paper without outside help. We will continue to use the Public Library 3 times per week. Trevor does written and oral reports on all books he that reads.

        b.. Writing Trevor has daily handwriting exercises. He will have book reports each week. We will be learning sentence structure, punctuation and capitalization. He will be writing original short stories. Including rough drafts, re-writes, and organizing paragraphs and the structures within the paragraphs.

        c.. Listening/Speaking Skills Trevor will be learning to follow multiple step directions (oral/written). Trevor will continue to identify proper listening times and reasons for listening. Trevor, as stated before, will be giving oral reports on books read. As well as aiding in oral instruction of younger siblings. Trevor will be learning which questions to ask and when to retrieve the proper information he is seeking.

        d.. Mathematics Trevor will be able to compare, read and write numerals and number words from 0-10,000. He will learn ordinal positions through hundredth. He will learn and use the concepts of place value. He will be learning to round to the nearest ones, tens and hundreds. He shows excellence in addition and subtraction. He will be learning and using the multiplication and division concepts. He will continue to work on fractions in both written and graph forms. Trevor will be working with decimal points. Learning to add and subtract correctly. Trevor will also be learning the concept of guesstimating and estimating. Trevor will learn to complete open number and operation symbol equations. Trevor will be learning to identify, draw and describe geometric shapes. He will also continue measurement studies, using both metric and standard units of measure.

        e.. Science Trevor will continue his in-depth studies on Earth and the Solar system. Including making a mock up of our solar system. In these studies we will be covering air temperature, wind directions/speed, water cycles etc. We will be learning of animals and plants and their habitats. Trevor will be using a chemistry program to learn of gases, solids, and liquids. To help his science studies Trevor will be spending time working with a chemist in Las Vegas who owns and operates his own business.

        f.. Geography/Global Awareness This will be incorporated with Earth studies. He will be learning different sections of the earth. Learn their climate, typical employment, social levels, and goods and services. He will be learning all the states and capitols for each. Trevor will also learn about state leadership, including but not limited to councilmen, mayor, and governor. He will be taking field trips to local council meeting to learn the processes involved in decision making to help our communities.

        g.. History Trevor will be doing history through the aide of Celebrate the Century. This is a detailed history of the 1900's. Trevor will also be learning about the President's of the United States.

        h.. Physical Education Trevor is involved with church sports programs including but not limited to soccer, basketball, and rag ball.

        INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS TO BE USED ARE:

        Make a list of any textbooks, including titles and authors, as well as any other books or materials that you have. You can list encyclopedia sets, educational games or equipment, computer and software, musical instruments, art supplies, microscope and slides, time lines. magazine subscriptions, the public library or other resources that you or child(ren) will be using during the year.

        We will be using but not limited to the following materials: (Trevor)

        Webster's Dictionary

        The Complete Book of Phonics

        101 Great Science Experiments

        Eyewitness Readers Level 2 Truck troubles

        Eyewitness Readers Level 3-4 Volcanoes and other natural disasters

        Eyewitness Readers Level 3-4 Secrets of Mummies

        Third Grade in Review worksheets for math, reading, science, language, social studies, and spelling

        Say Hola to Spanish

        The Mailbox, from the education center months: Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, June and July.

        Math in My World

        The Complete book of 2nd Grade

        The Complete Book of 3rd Grade

        Time, Money and me

        Encyclopedia Britannica

        Microscope with view screen

        Slides include but are not limited to: pollen, mosquito, yarn, hair....the children will be making their own slides as well.

        Liquid tempra, complete with primary, secondary and tertiary colors.

        Art paper

        Construction paper

        Glue, glitter and wide assortment or art condiments

        Computer

        Computer educational games including but not limited to:

        Eyewitness Encyclopedia of Science

        Number Munchers

        Reader Rabbit 1, 2

        Kid Phonics

        Encarta 96 Encyclopedia

        Learning Center 1st,2nd and 3rd Grade

        Big Action Garage

        A Bug's Life

        Public Library

        Musical Instruments: auto-harp, bongo drums, claves, and xylophone

        A personal library of 2nd and 3rd grade readers including but not limited to:

        Some Sumo

        City Scrapes

        The elephant's Cold

        Are all the Giants Dead?

        A Horse called Starfire

        Brave Sir Laughalot

        All the money in the world

        The very hungry Caterpillar

        And more

        Map of the United States

        A globe

        Email pen pals

        Susanne

        Visit our family home page
        http://homepages.msn.com:4890/StudentUnion/soosiec/EducationAdventurers.html
      • Dottie
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
          Thanks so much....this is so helpful. And jumping through hoops is the most accurate way of putting what they ask us to do. LOL>
          Dottie

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
            :) Hoops are what I jump through!!

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 1999
              Yeah, I'm beginning to know the feeling...LOL....as long as nobody sets fire to them while i'm sailing through one, i'll be alright. Ha Ha.
              Dottie