Re: First Draft: Eurocopter NH90 1:600

  • althegamer
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011
      Arun, looks great. Only one comment. The top cap on the main rotor is sort of useless because you have to remove it anyway to put on a clear plastic disc to represent the spinning rotor blades. I would prefer a post over which I could put the hole I drill in the plastic disc.

      Hope they sell OK. From my perspective airplanes will sell better though with Hind Commander on the market Im going to be adding a few of these to my gaming stuff and as with all 1/600 aircraft I will add a couple more for my non-gaming collection.

      Have you gotten models in the white strong material that you can compare to the Ultra Fine detail material? Im wondering if the texture will be OK using the less expensive materials.

      Al

      --- In 1-600thMiniatureAircraftWargaming@yahoogroups.com, Arun Rodrigues <afrodri@...> wrote:

      > This is my "first draft" of the NH90. This is the first aircraft I've
      > really attempted, so please tell me if anything looks too off. :-) It has
      > actually been sitting on my TODO list since August, but only now have I
      > really attempted it.
      >
      > For this go I've made versions in both the less expensive WSF material and
      > the higher resolution FUD material, and made 4- and 8-packs. I'll try to
      > allow both WSF and FUD, but it may not always be possible. You'll note that
      > on the WSF version, I had to truncate the rear stabilizer and make the tail
      > a little thicker than it "should" be. This is due to minimum thickness
      > requirements of the printing process.
      >

      > NHIndustries / Eurocopte NH90:
      >
      > The product of a joint venture between NHIndustries and Eurocopter, the
      > NH90 is a battlefield transport and anti-ship/anti-submarine helicopter. It
      > has been ordered by 16 countries including Australia, France, Germany,
      > Greece, Italy, New Zealand, Oman, and Spain. It was one of the first
      > helicopters to use a Fly-by-Wire control system.
      >
      > This model is available in 4- and 8- packs in 1:600 scale in either White,
      > Strong, and Flexible (WSF) or high resolution Frosted Ultra Detail, and in
      > 1:1200 scale in Frosted Ultra Detail.
      >
      > 4-pack 1:600 WSF http://shpws.me/3qgs $2.75
      > 8-pack 1:600 WSF http://shpws.me/3qgv $4.41
      > 4-pack 1:600 FUD http://shpws.me/3qgw $8.33
      > 8-pack 1:600 FUD http://shpws.me/3qgu $10.17
      > 4-pack 1:1200 FUD http://shpws.me/3qgy $5.92

    • Arun Rodrigues
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2011

        Arun, looks great. Only one comment. The top cap on the main rotor is sort of useless because you have to remove it anyway to put on a clear plastic disc to represent the spinning rotor blades. I would prefer a post over which I could put the hole I drill in the plastic disc.

        Cool. What size of a post works best for putting a disc on? I'll adjust the model

        Hope they sell OK. From my perspective airplanes will sell better though with Hind Commander on the market Im going to be adding a few of these to my gaming stuff and as with all 1/600 aircraft I will add a couple more for my non-gaming collection.

        It was fun to do, so I count it as a win either way. :-)

        Have you gotten models in the white strong material that you can compare to the Ultra Fine detail material? Im wondering if the texture will be OK using the less expensive materials.

        Here are some photos of both:
        http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/afrodri/Naval%20Ships/
        http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab273/afrodri/FUD_Ships/

        Personally, I think the WSF is fine for gaming purposes, but if you are more into the painting and 'look' of the model (and can afford it), FUD is the way to go. WSF has a slightly rough texture, but from a few feet away it isn't too noticeable.
      • althegamer
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
          Im not sure how strong the material is or how big the rotor shaft below that little mushroomlike cap is. I ordered a pack of the models and will look at them when they arrive but if you just left the cap off all of us should be able to make a hole in a platic disc the size of that shaft. Perhaps the shaft without the top cap could be a little longer so we can adjust for the proper look of the spinning disc. Heck, the biggest problem for me is making the disc in the first place.