Real tactics

  • darbyeckles
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      Has anybody else tried using real dogfight tactics to their
      advantage?

      I was able to use a couple during games of PHANTOMS, but a few times
      I lost cotnrol and crashed. The most successful one was the one time
      I used the Isreali "let him pass" trick, wich allowed my F-8 to dodge
      a pair of Mig-17s, a shoot them both down in rapid succession.
    • Nicholas Murray
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2007
        I was involved in a mini-campaign (described on the
        TMP air boards), where we (myself and a mate) had
        control of some Flying Tigers in defence of Rangoon at
        the start of the war in the Pacific.

        We chose to use the historical tactics. Dive in and
        get a shot at the bombers, zoom climb to set up
        another dive, before continuing into a power dive away
        (just in time to avoid the bomber escorts). We would
        have lost in a dogfight with zeros!

        This worked very well, and really made a real
        difference when tied into a campaign format.

        The rules (Check Your 6) were those of a friend, who
        wanted me to help playtest them. They worked well, and
        the tactics did just what they were supposed to do.

        Though of course, this led to a frustrating game for
        the Japanese. :-)

        Nick

        --- darbyeckles <darbyeckles@...> wrote:

        > Has anybody else tried using real dogfight tactics
        > to their
        > advantage?
        >
        > I was able to use a couple during games of
        > PHANTOMS, but a few times
        > I lost cotnrol and crashed. The most successful one
        > was the one time
        > I used the Isreali "let him pass" trick, wich
        > allowed my F-8 to dodge
        > a pair of Mig-17s, a shoot them both down in rapid
        > succession.

        Need Mail bonding?