The Fama story and my journey in 'Om'

  • bob900750
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2007
      Hello Friends

      I can offer comment on many current and recent topics so I thought
      that I had better start my own.

      Fama, the original owner started the `Om' range in 1984 and I
      imported some from the second owner, Georg Utz, in 1987 when I first
      built a layout called `Surava'. Since then, that layout and two
      subsequent layouts have done the UK exhibition circuit and I am
      currently working on `Surava' mark 4.

      On track, I have always made my own from `O' gauge sleepers cut down
      from 60mm to 45mm and using code 100 rail which is just deep enough
      to take the flanges. I agree that the real thing has a deeper rail
      section but bear in mind the amount of filing needed on point-work
      (turnouts) and the sharper radii on curves. My minimum radii were 4ft
      (1220 mm) for point-work and 3ft (915 mm) for plain track.

      The most recent incarnation is the privately owned Alpin Line Company
      in Switzerland producing bogie sliding wall wagons amongst other
      promised items. I bought one from E-Bay in Germany for pounds
      sterling £57 as against the published price (converted) of £163.
      With one eye on the group rules regarding criticisms of
      manufacturers, I have to think that the wagon I bought was a dealer's
      sample; I say this because the identical thing happened last year
      with the `Kiss' 4-wheel vans. I bought two for around half-price. I
      have also recently purchased two of the new Alpin Line hopper wagons
      for around £128 in total including postage also from E-Bay in Germany.

      You will hear a lot in the British news about our economic strength
      and I have to think that since these items come along at well under
      the list price, places like Germany are not as strong as we are,
      whereas Switzerland is very strong. Consequently Alpin Line may have
      over-priced these items for `export' sales. I hope that further items
      will become available although I shall be selling surplus stock very
      soon. Being sold on E-Bay in the limited British market they will
      likely have to be at bargain prices !

      Kind regards to all
      Bob
    • Tom
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 15, 2007
        --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "bob900750" <bob.bern@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Friends

        [snip]
        > Kind regards to all
        > Bob

        Hi Bob

        Thanks for the comments. I have just started out on the 0m route, and
        have found that the cost of some items seem prohibitively expensive,
        although like you I have also been looking in Germany and on eBay :) I
        guess as this is a very niché market the prices are always going to be
        higher, but I think in order to grow the market there is going to have
        to be some reduction in order to get more modellors in rather than
        collectors? I recieved a catalogue from Model Rail AG and there stuff
        looks loverly, but at around 5,000CHF for a loco.. I dont think I will
        be able to afford one :(

        Have you got some pictures of Surava, old or new as would love to see
        them? and I will look out for your items! :)

        Regards
        Tom
      • Hubert Wetekamp
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 15, 2007
          Hello all,

          regarding the new AlpinLine products and the price:

          This models are handmade in Eastern Germany. I heard, that the gravel-hopper is built from
          milled out styrene-parts.
          And the new locomotives are produced the same way.

          And for Model Rail as well as Ferrro Suisse:

          This models are brass in a limited run quantity and for that can be compared to american
          brass narrow gauge engines, which go up to 2,000 $ and higher.
          And not to forget, that are both Suisse based companys for the Suisse market, and
          Switzerland is a High Price country.

          Hubert from Germany
          Hubert
          hubert@...
          www.wetekamp.de

          MSN: goose@...
          AIM: GallopingGs
          YAHOO: hubertthegoose
          Skype: Galloping-Goose
        • bob900750
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2007
            --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <pinfoldst@...> wrote:

            > --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "bob900750" <bob.bern@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Friends
            > >
            > [snip]
            > > Kind regards to all
            > > Bob
            > >
            > Hi Bob
            >
            > Thanks for the comments. I have just started out on the 0m route,
            and
            > have found that the cost of some items seem prohibitively expensive,
            > although like you I have also been looking in Germany and on
            eBay :) I
            > guess as this is a very niché market the prices are always going to
            be
            > higher, but I think in order to grow the market there is going to
            have
            > to be some reduction in order to get more modellors in rather than
            > collectors? I recieved a catalogue from Model Rail AG and there
            stuff
            > looks loverly, but at around 5,000CHF for a loco.. I dont think I
            will
            > be able to afford one :(
            >
            > Have you got some pictures of Surava, old or new as would love to
            see
            > them? and I will look out for your items! :)
            >
            > Regards
            > Tom

            Hi Tom

            The old layout can be found at
            http://www.simplytrains.com/pages/layouts/surava/surava.htm

            The new 'Surava' looks like a lot of wood with some wires at present
            but I will post any reasonable progress.

            Regards
            Bob
          • Tom
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 19, 2007
              wrote:

              > --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <pinfoldst@> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "bob900750" <bob.bern@>
              > > wrote:

              [snip]

              > Hi Tom
              >
              > The old layout can be found at
              > http://www.simplytrains.com/pages/layouts/surava/surava.htm
              >
              > The new 'Surava' looks like a lot of wood with some wires at present
              > but I will post any reasonable progress.
              >
              > Regards
              > Bob

              Thanks for that Bob, dont spose your building it in modular fashion?!
              :) I wonder how many 0m Modellors there are in the UK? and how many
              have a layout/module(s) I guess with the lack of activity in recent
              years with 0m there may not be many!!

              Regards
              Tom

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 20, 2007
                --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "bob900750" <bob.bern@...>
                wrote:
                [snip]
                > On track, I have always made my own from `O' gauge sleepers cut down
                > from 60mm to 45mm and using code 100 rail which is just deep enough
                > to take the flanges. I agree that the real thing has a deeper rail
                > section but bear in mind the amount of filing needed on point-work
                > (turnouts) and the sharper radii on curves. My minimum radii were 4ft
                > (1220 mm) for point-work and 3ft (915 mm) for plain track.

                Bob

                Out of interest what do you use for your sleepers, I was going to get
                mine from Germany? and do you use spikes or soldered rails. I too have
                a stock of code 100 rail but have never built any track but would like
                to have a go. I am going to start small with a micro layout inspired
                from Carl Arendt's site with only maybe one or two points/switches.

                I have my first loco, which is the FO shunter am amazed at the
                traction as the magnets seem so strong but it is a lovely little
                runner :) I just now need some stock.

                Regards
                Tom
              • bob900750
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 21, 2007
                  --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <pinfoldst@...> wrote:

                  > --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "bob900750" <bob.bern@>
                  > wrote:
                  > [snip]
                  > > On track, I have always made my own from `O' gauge sleepers cut down
                  > > from 60mm to 45mm and using code 100 rail which is just deep enough
                  > > to take the flanges. I agree that the real thing has a deeper rail
                  > > section but bear in mind the amount of filing needed on point-work
                  > > (turnouts) and the sharper radii on curves. My minimum radii were 4ft
                  > > (1220 mm) for point-work and 3ft (915 mm) for plain track.
                  >
                  > Bob
                  >
                  > Out of interest what do you use for your sleepers, I was going to get
                  > mine from Germany? and do you use spikes or soldered rails. I too have
                  > a stock of code 100 rail but have never built any track but would like
                  > to have a go. I am going to start small with a micro layout inspired
                  > from Carl Arendt's site with only maybe one or two points/switches.
                  >
                  > I have my first loco, which is the FO shunter am amazed at the
                  > traction as the magnets seem so strong but it is a lovely little
                  > runner :) I just now need some stock.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > Tom

                  Hi Tom

                  I use copperclad sleeper lengths 6mm wide from Marcway in Sheffield or
                  similar supplier together with code 100 nickel silver rail. Sleepers
                  are cut in a simple jig. Point work is also constructed on jigs
                  off-baseboard. Soldered construction is used as it will have to travel
                  many miles in the back of a old van. My light-weight plywood boards
                  will allow some torsion stress on the journey without serious damage
                  and a 15 inch (38 cm) backscene will support the boards.

                  Incidently, the wheels on the new 'Aplin Line' plastic rolling stock
                  seem to be available in both fine scale and 'Fama' standards. The
                  difference is presumably in the back-to-back measurement rather than
                  flange depth. Don't forget that the magnets on the Tm 2/2 will also
                  attract any ferrous metal bits near by !

                  Overall the mechanisms do run very well, with good slow speed
                  charateristics. I recall the original literature back 20 years ago
                  which said something like 'please remember that these items are of the
                  high quality which you would expect from something manufactured in
                  Switzerland'. Ouch !

                  Regards
                  Bob
                • bob900750
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2007
                    --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Hubert Wetekamp"
                    <hubert@...> wrote:

                    > Hello all,
                    >
                    > regarding the new AlpinLine products and the price:
                    >
                    > This models are handmade in Eastern Germany. I heard, that the
                    gravel-hopper is built from
                    > milled out styrene-parts.
                    > And the new locomotives are produced the same way.
                    >
                    > And for Model Rail as well as Ferrro Suisse:
                    >
                    > This models are brass in a limited run quantity and for that can be
                    compared to american
                    > brass narrow gauge engines, which go up to 2,000 $ and higher.
                    > And not to forget, that are both Suisse based companys for the
                    Suisse market, and
                    > Switzerland is a High Price country.
                    >
                    > Hubert from Germany
                    > Hubert
                    > hubert@...
                    > www.wetekamp.de
                    >
                    > MSN: goose@...
                    > AIM: GallopingGs
                    > YAHOO: hubertthegoose
                    > Skype: Galloping-Goose

                    Hello Friends

                    The AlpinLine site at www.alpinline.com has been updated with 'News'
                    and some lovely pictures under 'Shows' and 'Photos' both of layouts
                    and individual rolling stock. Also some spares such as the rubber
                    corridor connections and lighting kits for all coaches.

                    Best regards
                    Bob
                  • Tom
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
                      wrote:

                      > --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Hubert Wetekamp"
                      > <hubert@> wrote:
                      [snip]
                      > Hello Friends
                      >
                      > The AlpinLine site at www.alpinline.com has been updated with 'News'
                      > and some lovely pictures under 'Shows' and 'Photos' both of layouts
                      > and individual rolling stock. Also some spares such as the rubber
                      > corridor connections and lighting kits for all coaches.
                      >
                      > Best regards
                      > Bob

                      Hi Bob

                      I noted the additions to there website, but am still awaiting news of
                      the red Ge4/4 II which is what I would really like. As I am away at
                      the moment and not having any chance to model I can patiently wait :)
                      But I was considering a Gem4/4 but wondered about the usage of this
                      loco across the RhB.. and I need to get a load of rolling stock

                      Regards
                      tOm
                    • Guerbetaler
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 4, 2007
                        Tom wrote:
                        > But I was considering a Gem4/4 but wondered about the usage of this
                        > loco across the RhB.. and I need to get a load of rolling stock

                        Sure, normal use of these locomotives is on the Bernina line.
                        But before Gm 4/4 241 and 242-43 were delivered, they had
                        to help out in other places when a diesel was needed. Also
                        the journeys to/from Landquart shop are/were often under their
                        own power.

                        Markus, Gürbetal
                      • Tom
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
                          --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Guerbetaler"
                          <guerbetaler@...> wrote:

                          > Tom wrote:
                          > > But I was considering a Gem4/4 but wondered about the usage of this
                          > > loco across the RhB.. and I need to get a load of rolling stock
                          >
                          > Sure, normal use of these locomotives is on the Bernina line.
                          > But before Gm 4/4 241 and 242-43 were delivered, they had
                          > to help out in other places when a diesel was needed. Also
                          > the journeys to/from Landquart shop are/were often under their
                          > own power.
                          >
                          > Markus, Gürbetal

                          Thanks for the info Markus, it may lead to some interesting operating
                          modes for future layout. I think I might get one. Would these locos
                          helped out on any other part of the RhB or were they limited to the
                          Benina line and surrounding ones. I have seen some pics of Gem pushing
                          steam snow plows on the Arosa line.

                          Regards
                          t0m
                        • Guerbetaler
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 5, 2007
                            Tom wrote:
                            > Thanks for the info Markus, it may lead to some interesting operating
                            > modes for future layout. I think I might get one. Would these locos
                            > helped out on any other part of the RhB or were they limited to the
                            > Benina line and surrounding ones. I have seen some pics of Gem
                            > pushing steam snow plows on the Arosa line.

                            Isn't Arosa far enough from the Bernina line? :-)

                            I can't tell you for /sure/, these locomotives worked *everywhere*.

                            Markus, Gürbetal
                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 6, 2007
                              <guerbetaler@...> wrote:

                              > Tom wrote:
                              > > Thanks for the info Markus, it may lead to some interesting operating
                              > > modes for future layout. I think I might get one. Would these locos
                              > > helped out on any other part of the RhB or were they limited to the
                              > > Benina line and surrounding ones. I have seen some pics of Gem
                              > > pushing steam snow plows on the Arosa line.
                              >
                              > Isn't Arosa far enough from the Bernina line? :-)
                              >
                              > I can't tell you for /sure/, these locomotives worked *everywhere*.
                              >
                              > Markus, Gürbetal

                              Markus, yes I it is close, just wanted to check :-) and I know your a
                              mine of knowledge! Thanks for all your info..

                              Regards
                              t0m