Welcome Swiss meter gauge enthusiasts!

  • billcwithonec
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14 6:54 PM
      April 04, 2002
      All,

      Good evening! I started this group hoping to have a place where
      discussions could take place regarding O scale meter gauge modelling
      and their corresponding prototypes. I live south of Philadelphia,
      Pa, United States of America, and have yet to travel to Switzerland
      to ride and photograph these lines (especially the RhB - my favorite).

      I have acquired a fair amount of the Om trains produced at one time
      by Fama, Utz, Kiss, and most recently Roco (Alpin Line). At this
      time no plans are being made for the future of this line of trains by
      Roco (unfortunately!).

      Information for people like myself who do not speak or read German
      (I can kind of get by in French, a little) is difficult to find
      printed in English. I would like this group to be the path that
      allows a greater exposure of the Swiss meter gauge lines to the
      English speaking population.

      Let's see how it turns out, eh?

      A couple of ground rules:

      1) Let's do our best to not unfairly criticize each other, or
      manufacturers!

      2) No profanity!

      3) Everyone has a bad day once in a while (me included!), so let's
      not take everything so seriously!

      4) Have fun, visit often, post pictures of the trains we all have an
      interest in, and this should be a very enjoyable experience for
      all!

      Background:

      I am currently employed as a computer programmer (ForTran - yeah,
      it's not a dead language yet!), for the past two years in the banking
      industry. Previously I ran a deap sea long-line business that was
      very successful, until government intervention forced me to look
      elsewhere for employment. Oh, well! And a long time ago I worked
      for a hobby shop that at one point sold the Fama Om sets marketed
      here in the U.S.A. by MRC (Model Rectifier Corporation - the power
      pack people).

      I always wondered what had happened to these interesting trains,
      and after stumbling across them on the World Wide Web, I was hooked,
      with one minor problem - I found no one who had anything in stock,
      and the line was being cancelled by Roco. I have found the people
      I've met who have sold me these trains to be very nice and pleasant
      to deal with (like most narrow gaugers!).

      Welcome! Introduce yourself, and together we can build a World
      Wide Community for O scale Swiss meter gauge train enthusiasts!

      All are welcome who can respect each other!

      Bill Cole
      (sometimes known as Kublai)