Getting into Om - need some advice/info

  • Joe Krepps
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      All,

      Nice to be here. Though a life-time model railroader (now 45 years
      old), recent posts on the Bemo list piqued my curiosity about O-scale
      meter gauge.

      I snatched a Fama FO trainset on eBay. It's not here yet.

      My goal is to build 2 or 3 modules, 5'x2' each(so they fit in existing
      module racks for transport - more below) arranged in a John Allen
      "TimeSaver" design.

      I hope you can help me out with some questions. I've done some digging
      on the web (will add a link in a moment) but there's precious little
      info' out there. (Well, compared to other scales, including Z.)

      1) I'm not happy about the sharp turnouts I've seen produced by Roco.
      I've had experience with "handlayed" track and 3 modules won't be a
      lot of track. Does anyone know what "code" of rail corresponds to FO's
      track in Om? I'm _really_ hoping I can get a away with code 100 since
      I have tons of rail from my old handlaid track days. If I need code
      124/125, then so be it. Thoughts on track?

      2) Since I live in the US where freight is king but passenger trains,
      wellll....anyway. That's why I want to model a freight/goods switching
      railway. Where in the world do you find Om goods/freight cars? I
      really, REALLY don't want to spend ~140Euros for a single KISS box car!

      3) What about Om signals and structures/buildings? Do they exist? I
      have the feeling I'll be using O-scale Grandt Line window & door
      castings. How about a source of decent photos so I can 'fudge' a
      passable building and/or station?

      4) I guess a general "Who speaks English and sells Om stuff?" is good.
      Nothing on the U.S. eBay but several pieces on ebay.de and ebay.ch

      I'll be using a plain DC hand held throttle so no need for DCC. I'll
      also be using Sommerfeldt catenary even though the trainset appears
      (in the photos) to include an HGm 4/4.

      I'm _assuming_ European cars are available in O-scale so that's not an
      issue. People are pretty much people so O-scale figures will suffice.

      What else am I missing?

      (Why 5'x2'? The HO module standard for the European Train Enthusiasts
      is 5'x2'. I'm told it's based on some old Marklin magazine article.
      I'm the secretary for the Keystone Chapter of ETE and we've already
      got ~17 modules which we transport to shows and our own "EuroEast"
      held in PA. each August. We have several racks built to transport the
      modules in 26' trucks. Though I'd prefer 3' wide, for transport using
      the racks makes the most sense.)

      Many thanks in advance!

      mfg,
      Joe Krepps