Re: Om Track

  • Leonard
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2008
      Have tried SHS - 20" curves are too sharp, and have used Gargarves
      which works OK. The old Gargraves wide radius switches should work too,
      but the new 42" ones may be a bit too sharp as well.

      I use the SHS straight track for display and photos, and it looks very
      nice for that purpose.

      With our new train shop, New York Central Toys and Trains, up and
      running, I can possibly bring in some Alpinline items that are hard to
      find here in North America. We're considering getting some rack track
      sections, passeneger car seats, couplers, and wheelsets in, mainly to
      have some otherwise unavailable track and replacement parts on hand.
      Please e-mail me off-group at holtlen48@... to let me know
      what you need and for terms of sale.

      Len Holt
      South Bend, IN

      --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN" <hage.ny@...> wrote:

      > -
      >
      > Hello and good day Om fans,
      >

      > Has anyone had experience using different types of track, such as S
      > Scale Helper, Classic Trains or Gargraves, with the original Fama
      > issued track?
      > Connectors and track code may be a problem. Your comments are
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > John Hagedorn
      > USA

    • JOHN
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2008
        Thanks Hubert,

        My circle of Om friends is small, very small. Fama are beautiful
        Swiss trains, but not popular and availability is very limited here
        in the USA.

        I was planning on using Fama and some S scale track together. Do you
        think that would be problematic without reworking all the wheelsets?
        I have meter pieces of some of the track I may use and the cars seem
        to roll ok, but running a train over a meter and operating on a
        layout are two different things.

        The issue comes down to cost. 24fr for a metter piece plus shipping
        to the USA puts my budget for trains in the red. I have acquired all
        the stainless fama track that I can find here. I also want the
        graceful curves that flex track offers.

        I understand the 20 mm, what is RP25?

        Thanks,

        John

        --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Hubert Wetekamp"
        <hubert@...> wrote:

        > Hello John,
        >
        > once at the circle of narrow gauge friends Kiel one of our members,
        > who passed away a couple of years ago, used Shinohara S-gauge track
        > and turnouts to build a complete module-station.
        >
        > It worked without problems, but I have to mention, that we reworked
        > the FAMA ... wheelsets to Finescale standards.
        >
        > This means, back to back inside the wheels 20 mm and RP25.
        >
        > Greetings from Germany
        > Hubert The Goose

      • Hubert Wetekamp
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
          Hello John,

          > I was planning on using Fama and some S scale track together. Do
          you think that would be problematic without reworking all the wheelsets?

          Could be. I once had set a Fama car with original wheelsets on one of
          my modules, which used code 100 rail and a gauge of 22,2 mm instead
          the 22,5 mm as Fama used. The car rolled, but the flanges hit the spikes.

          > I have meter pieces of some of the track I may use and the cars seem
          > to roll ok, but running a train over a meter and operating on a
          > layout are two different things.

          S-standard-gauge track has a gauge of 22,5 mm and so the same as FAMA.
          The only difference will be the flanges of the wheels, but perhaps you
          will find fitting wheels from NWSL or so.

          > The issue comes down to cost. 24fr for a metter piece plus shipping
          > to the USA puts my budget for trains in the red. I have acquired
          all the stainless fama track that I can find here. I also want the
          > graceful curves that flex track offers.

          > I understand the 20 mm, what is RP25?

          RP25 is the NMRA term for an HO flange on wheels. This describes the
          height of the flange as well as the radius to the rest of the wheel.
          Check out the NMRA HO standards to understand, what this means.

          In Om, this standards are much closer to the prototype than on
          HO-scale wheels.

          Greetings from Germany
          Hubert
        • davidweidler
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 9, 2008
            This may seem sacreligious, but has anyone regauged Om models to run on
            American On3 track?

            David Weidler