  • bob900750
    Aug 16, 2007
      --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <pinfoldst@...> wrote:

      > --- In 0mSwissmetregauge@yahoogroups.com, "bob900750" <bob.bern@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello All
      > >
      > [snip]
      > > MicroMark in USA - www.micromark.com - item number 82884 - for
      > > US$19.95 each. The stall torque quoted is 1.5 amps. It needs a
      bit
      > > of adjustment to fit as it is 0.925 inches or 23.5 mm wide across
      the
      > > widest point. But it has a 2mm shaft so the gear pinion can be
      > > transferred.
      > [snip]
      > > Kind regards to all
      > > Bob Simmonds
      > >

      > Hi Bob
      >
      > I am hoping to get a RhB Gem 4/4 Nr. 802 in the not too distant
      > future, for a pressie, so am interested in converting the motor as I
      > believe it has 1 B├╝hler Motor. Also as I am going down the DCC
      route I
      > am looking at getting some 0 scale decoders, but looking at your
      > figures it would seem that they are not necassary. As I am not very
      > clued-up when it comes to all the electrickery, What is pure DC and
      > how do you get it?
      >
      > Regards
      > t0m

      Hi Tom

      First my apologies for not replying sooner to your request. I am
      very dangerous with 12 volts dc but here goes ! Some of my problems
      can be attributed to my way of doing things. I made my own trackwork
      from Peco nickel silver rail so the 'Fama' magnets were inoperative.
      Secondly, I did not think to compensate for this with more ballast
      (weight) in the loco. Thirdly, I made the 36 inch (92 cm) curves in
      24 mm gauge to allow for easier traction around the corners. Given
      that the original models go round a 58 cm standard curve, I was over-
      cooking it a bit !! I guess that the outside wheels were not pulling
      their weight - literally.

      With hindsight, I think that I created some problems for myself which
      may have lead to the overheating. However, as these are can motors
      and liable to retain heat, you may wish to avoid feedback controllers
      for any long periods of operation. My friend, Steve, made these pure
      DC items for me and if you mail me off-group at surava@...
      I will give you his email address.

      Cheers
      Bob