AfterStep 1.8.10 released (fwd)

  • ^(o,o)^ Turk2000
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2001
      Hi fellow AfterSteppers

      I'd like to let you know that we have released new(1.8.10) version of stable
      tree of the AfterStep. This particular version incorporates several
      features that has been asked for for quite sometime - namely better multihead
      support.

      Basically both Xinerama support and multihead support with independant
      screens has been improved.

      1. Xinerama support :
      Windows will not longer be placed inbetween the screens, unless user moves it
      there.
      If asetroot is requested to scale root background, it will scale it to the
      size of the first screen - not entire xinerama desktop.

      2. Independant screens :
      Ability to have different configurations/backgrounds per screen has been
      added.
      Firstly, you can now have different InitFunction/REstartFunction for each
      screen, thus you can start different modules with different configurations on
      each screen.

      Secondly, you can now have different Feel, Look and Root background
      for each screen.
      Just choose desired Feel/Look/Background from menu while on the specific
      screen. The only modification needed in config files is that
      for asetroot to be able to pick up backgrounds on screens other then first
      one, in asteroot config background should be named like that :

      Use 0 "~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable/0_background.scr1"

      Note .scr1 at the end of the filename!

      I've attached my asetroot and autoexec for those who are interested.

      There are some other minor fixes/improvements in this release, most notable
      one is enchancement of WindowsDesk function in feel - it can now move windows
      to previous/next desk, instead of specific desk number.
      (see man page for more)

      Please give it a try if any of the above features are of interest to you, and
      let me know if there is anything you want to be changed/added.

      Thanks alot for your support.

      Sasha Vasko
      on behalf of AfterStep development team.