Math (up to calculus), economics, science, art history, more and growing at Khan Academy

  • Saronai Aldarion
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2012
      Resending my review since apparently it timed out.  I wasn't sure if perhaps you were on vacation or simply haven't had time to check within the last 14 days.

      Subjects:  Math (from beginning to calculus including geometry,
      statistics, and physics), Economics, Science, Art History, more and
      growing.
      Provider:  Khan Academy
      http://khanacademy.org
      Rating:  * * * * *

      I just recently discovered this site and particularly recommend reading the about to start with (http://www.khanacademy.org/about).  I found it very inspiring and am still exploring it.  I even created my own account after I learned a few things from it, including questions
      that I've asked teachers before and never got a satisfactory answer
      (such as why we get a positive when multiplying two negatives and why
      dividing by 0 is undefined).

      This
      year will be my first year homeschooling, but my son likes this site
      enough that he's already begun learning things from it.  It's
      applications in home schooling are practically limitless so long as
      they've gotten around to creating the quality videos and exercises for
      the material.  I absolutely love the vision and aspirations of this
      website so much.

      My
      son actually wants to use the math section to learn and practice his
      math, taking the study of arithmetic mostly off my hands.  The website
      is still being built so, as his coach, I cannot yet assign particular
      things for him to watch and practice.  However, there are notes in the
      FAQ that this functionality is in the works.  For now, they have coach
      to student email lists set up for coaches to email all their students
      with instructions, assignments, or anything else they might want to say
      regarding the academy.

      spent an entire night past burning the midnight oil just watching their
      astronomy videos in the science section.  I took astronomy in college,
      these videos were far more interesting (and I was interested in the
      college material).  I found it so interesting that I spent the whole
      next day theorizing and using my imagination and pursuing thought
      exercises on enigmas like black holes.

      They
      have what looks to be a complete selection of videos on Art History now
      as well.  The few videos I watched were placed in the museums with
      close ups of the piece in question.  They also included speculation and
      known facts on the cultural situation behind the pieces and their
      meaning.

      am uncertain yet exactly how I will incorporate Khan Academy into my
      homeschooling curriculum, but considering how much my son and I like it,
      I'm pretty sure it will play a huge part.  It may be our primary source
      for math and art history.  It would certaintly provide a nice break
      from the reading we'll be doing in other subjects (which he will enjoy).
      Learning by video and discussion from Khan Academy will provide a nice
      change of pace.  I also plan to use it to brush up on my own math
      knowledge and level up into calculus, which I've never done before.

      You
      really can use this site as much or as little as you want, as a booster
      for your lessons, or a way to give certain lessons.  I love it so much
      and its permanently free, so I can't imagine it's not already been
      reviewed by someone here.  However, I looked back through several pages
      and could not yet find a review for it yet.  Seriously, check it out and
      happy homeschooling!

      --Saronai