Re: [hs reviews] Re: need homeschool books or sites for free activities/workpages... any info

  • Jessica King
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 25, 2010
      > > > ANY info on free sites or other is wonderful. If anyone has any
      > > > workbooks, etc. I would be so grateful.

      Free Grammar workbook:
      http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

      A bunch of different subjects here:
      http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/

      This site has a freebie every week.
      http://www.currclick.com/

      Thats all I can think of right now.

      --jessiejking
    • Oom Yaaqub
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 25, 2010
        >FYI-I started with k12 and am now trying to go on my own. It wasn't >working out for my homeschooler. He is a 2nd grader and needs...

        Ditto! I tried K12 twice with two different children, several years apart, but hated it both times. To us, it was just public school moved into my living room without the fun parts like birthday parties, etc. They did have some field trips, but most of them were impossible for me to get to without the use of a car during the day, and anyway that was only once every two months. I can do far more, and better, field trips on my own, using the bus. As cyberschoolers we lost all our scheduling flexibility and freedom and it was just so not worth it!

        In a few states, the school district MUST provide you loaner books. Even if they don't, all school districts discard a great number of useable books every year which they might be willing to give you or sell at yard sale prices. It never hurts to ask! I've managed to homeschool on an extreme budget for the past 8 years. It can definitely be done, especially with the Internet as well as access to a decent library.

        --oomyaaqub
      • jeniverwboyer
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 26, 2010
          > I need any info for homeschooling
          > 4th, 5th, 8th , 9th and preschool age.

          Info for all ages: my favorite site is
          http://amblesideonline.org

          My favorite worksheet maker is
          http://worksheetworks.com

          hope that helps

          --jeniver
        • Ellen Weisberg
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 27, 2010
            > > > ANY info on free sites or other is wonderful. If anyone has any
            > > > workbooks, etc. I would be so grateful.

            http://www.weisberg-yoffe.org
            My husband and I are giving away free children's geography ebooks (Canada, China) on our website.

            --ellenweis1966
          • carenbaumann
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
              > ANY info on free sites or other is wonderful. If anyone has any
              > workbooks, etc. I would be so grateful.

              http://fsc.fernbank.edu
              Website is Fernbank Science Center in Atlanta, Ga.
              Under Teacher tab/teacher resources "Free-nology"

              [MOD: Site appears to be down today, but here's a Google cache of the page. Unfortunately, it's an old PDF file, and many -- probably most -- of the links are dead. But here it is, nevertheless:
              http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:http://www.fernbank.edu/PDF/Freenology.pdf
              --lmg]

              --carenbaumann