Re: need homeschool books or sites for free activities/workpages... any info

  • caldwell
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 5, 2009
      --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, "marvelousmama2003" <deborah_macias@...> wrote:
      > > ANY info on free sites or other is wonderful. If anyone has any
      > > workbooks, etc. I would be so grateful.
      >
      > Go to K12.com. [Depending on your state,] they give you a free
      > curriculum [via enrollment in a public-school program.]

      FYI-I started with k12 and am now trying to go on my own. It wasn't working out for my homeschooler. He is a 2nd grader and needs hands on learning. k12 is very much like a regular school, just taught in the house and they require 5.5 hours of school per day.

      --rbotcaldwell
    • Jessica King
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 25, 2010
        > > > ANY info on free sites or other is wonderful. If anyone has any
        > > > workbooks, etc. I would be so grateful.

        Free Grammar workbook:
        http://www.sfreading.com/resources/ghb.html

        A bunch of different subjects here:
        http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/

        This site has a freebie every week.
        http://www.currclick.com/

        Thats all I can think of right now.

        --jessiejking
      • Oom Yaaqub
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 25, 2010
          >FYI-I started with k12 and am now trying to go on my own. It wasn't >working out for my homeschooler. He is a 2nd grader and needs...

          Ditto! I tried K12 twice with two different children, several years apart, but hated it both times. To us, it was just public school moved into my living room without the fun parts like birthday parties, etc. They did have some field trips, but most of them were impossible for me to get to without the use of a car during the day, and anyway that was only once every two months. I can do far more, and better, field trips on my own, using the bus. As cyberschoolers we lost all our scheduling flexibility and freedom and it was just so not worth it!

          In a few states, the school district MUST provide you loaner books. Even if they don't, all school districts discard a great number of useable books every year which they might be willing to give you or sell at yard sale prices. It never hurts to ask! I've managed to homeschool on an extreme budget for the past 8 years. It can definitely be done, especially with the Internet as well as access to a decent library.

          --oomyaaqub
        • jeniverwboyer
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 26, 2010
            > I need any info for homeschooling
            > 4th, 5th, 8th , 9th and preschool age.

            Info for all ages: my favorite site is
            http://amblesideonline.org

            My favorite worksheet maker is
            http://worksheetworks.com

            hope that helps

            --jeniver
          • Ellen Weisberg
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 27, 2010
              > > > ANY info on free sites or other is wonderful. If anyone has any
              > > > workbooks, etc. I would be so grateful.

              http://www.weisberg-yoffe.org
              My husband and I are giving away free children's geography ebooks (Canada, China) on our website.

              --ellenweis1966
            • carenbaumann
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 8, 2010
                > ANY info on free sites or other is wonderful. If anyone has any
                > workbooks, etc. I would be so grateful.

                http://fsc.fernbank.edu
                Website is Fernbank Science Center in Atlanta, Ga.
                Under Teacher tab/teacher resources "Free-nology"

                [MOD: Site appears to be down today, but here's a Google cache of the page. Unfortunately, it's an old PDF file, and many -- probably most -- of the links are dead. But here it is, nevertheless:
                http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:http://www.fernbank.edu/PDF/Freenology.pdf
                --lmg]

                --carenbaumann