Re: [hs reviews] High school homeschooling

  • james edwards
    Message 1 of 38 , Jan 20, 2009
      > Do you have any tips or websites for homeschooling for high school?

      I let my daughter select electives based on her interest.  My older daughter also dual enrolled at the junior college and began by taking intermediate math just to get her feet wet and then took college algebra and got her math requirements out of the way before starting college.  Here you can only take up to 11 hours and be considered part-time.  Full- time will not allow for scholarships once the child graduates and may want to go directly into a university.  I don't know the rules for you.  My daughter here now who is in the 11th grade in taking psychology and computer this year.  I ordered the computer classes( one keyboarding and the other computer) from CLE.  It was great because she did it alone and I only tested her.  The psychology I got from Rainbow, I think.  She also took Home Economics from CLE and we skipped the Mennonite cape and headcovering stuff, but learned to sew a button and learned different stitches and she practiced these
      and we stapled them into our folder.  We took Driver's Ed.  I just got the handbook at the place and she read it and I gave notes.  I also made her draw the signs and answer all the questions in the back.  I gave her a worksheet and put it in order with the book.  I gave her a test and quizzes. She drove and learned to park.  I tailored this after a class my older daughter took at a local private school.  Your insurance may require more, so check.  This year she is taking Human Anatomy and Phy.  I order the book from Rainbow, I think.  I is easy to understand and has 100 questions at the end of each chapter.  She answers those as a study guide and then I make a test with T/F, matching, multiple choice, short answer and essay.  Whatever they like, let them do along with the regular classes like math, English, and history.  Have fun!
      Linda
    • D. Kozarovich
      Message 38 of 38 , Jan 20, 2009
        Do you have any tips or websites for homeschooling for high school?

        I found the book Senior High: A Home-Designed Form+U+la by Barbara Edti Shelton to be a wonderful resource in writing up my son's woodworking credits during his high school years.

        Donna