RE: [hs reviews] Reeska- School in January?

  • Dana & Jessica Murphy
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 5, 2008
      >How do you start in January?

      Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, my computer has been broken for a month or so.

      In my state, KY, I am required 185 days of instruction. I start in January with a plan and go as far as I need to. There have been a few months where I had no plan and we played all day so I do not technically
      count that as "school."

      Most of the work is on the computer so for the past month and a half we have not had any formal lessons. I also just had a baby about two weeks ago so we are not so diligent in school work.

      In December I will plan for the next year and take it as it comes making sure that I have my required days. I have started using Home School Inc. to plan better as I have been making it up for three years. Needless to say, my kids are great at Reading, good at Writing, ok at Spelling and not so good at Math. That is what I love about homeschooling: we take it at our pace with goals in mind but not so rigid that we are all insane. (Well, not certifiable anyway!!)

      --Jessica
    • Reeska
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 11, 2008
        >> How do you start in January?

        > In my state, KY, I am required 185 days of instruction. I start
        > in January with a plan and go as far as I need to.

        Thanks. If you start in January, when does your school year end?

        -- Reeska
      • Dana & Jessica Murphy
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
          > If you start in January, when does your school year end?

          Whenever we get to 185 days. In August I had 20 days left and then my
          computer broke, which is where I get most of my school lessons from. So we had 'summer break' for a month or so and now we are slowly getting back into lessons. We will do a unit over Thanksgiving and then several over the whole month of December for Christmas. So I will end up finishing my required number of days in December. Yes, that seems a little long, but we take a lot of breaks during the year. That prevents me and the kids from getting burned out and have long play days that are not scheduled learning. My kids are still young, 8 and 5, so it is easier to do this. I will probably have to adapt this when they get older.

          --Dana & Jessica
        • Oom Yaaqub
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 20, 2008
            > If you start in January, when does your school year end?

            Most states state when the school year ends for the purpose of starting a new homeschool year, even if you personally do school all year long. If you start a program in January, obviously you still get credit for the B&M school your child attended before you started! So if you need 185 days but you already did 90 days in public school, you would only need 95 more days for the year. In that respect, it's no different than switching to a different school, or from a public to a private school or vice versa in the middle of the year.

            --Oom
          • Reeska
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 22, 2008
              > Most states state when the school year ends for the
              > purpose of starting a new homeschool year...

              I was just curious? I have been homeschooling for 5.5 years and this might be something to consider. My children are ages 6, 8, 11, 12 and 13. I might teach the younger children from January - June and the older children August - May. This does mean that I'm teaching all year round, but I would have a break in July and then other holiday breaks here and there.

              -- Reese
            • Oom Yaaqub
              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 24, 2008
                > Most states state when the school year ends for the
                > purpose of starting a new homeschool year...

                As long as you can get in the required days or hours or however your state law does it, that sounds like a good plan.

                Where I live, we have a choice of counting 180 days OR 900 hours. Most people count days for obvious reasons--there's no guidelines in terms of what a "day" is. Six months IS 180 days, and you could certainly make the argument that your kids do educational things every day, so unless they are so actually sick in bed that they can't even read, they are learning! I know people who do that.

                OTOH, having school August through May for the older kids is pretty much what most people in the northern hemisphere do. But basically, you would need to read the law that applies to you since it varies so much from place to do.

                --oomyaaqub
              • Ali Lock
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2008
                  > If you start in January, when does your school year end?

                  Well, its sort of interesting that you posed this question. My family changed our school year to begin in January from here on out. We have always been homeschoolers, so what we did was took "summer vacation" in fall. We homeschooled from January through September and took the months of October, November, and December for our "summer vacation". Why? Well, we have to take a lot of breaks during that period anyways due to holidays. So instead of breaking up the learning by missing a week here and there, we just took those months off. Plus, we start up our school on New Year's Day. Now since New Year's is a holiday, we don't really "get down to business" on that day. Instead, we have some simple assignments which are: 1) New Year's Resolutions 2) Goals for the year 3) Yearbook work.

                  Oh, and we don't take October, November, and December entirely off. We simply get rid of the workbooks, worksheets, etc. The boys spend those 3 months delving into "personal interest" topics. And we do have holiday related activities. For Thanksgiving they each make a yearbook page about what they are thankful for that year, and they help cook. For Christmas, we have an advent calendar that has "elf assignments". Elf assignments are holiday related activities that double as some type of learning activity or a keepsake. Some of ours are: 1) Make Christmas cards, 2) Write a letter to Santa, 3) Make Christmas Ornaments, 4) Read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" [this one is always done on Christmas Eve], 5) Make Christmas Cookies [these double as holiday gifts to grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.], 6) Read the story of the Birth of Christ [in our home, this is the "Reason for the Season", 7) Go through your toys and take out the ones you no longer want. You will give these to charity for children less fortunate than you. Remember, Christmas is about GIVING not GETTING. [this one is a tradition that began a couple of years ago to teach the boys that its not "all about me", and its wonderful for making room for the new things they will be getting that year.] 8) What is your favorite Christmas Carol? Write the words to it and find out its origin. 9) Draw and decorate a christmas tree. You can use stickers, beads, buttons, fabric scraps, etc. to decorate your tree. 10) Draw and decorate a Christmas stocking and cut it out. 11) Make a Christmas wreath on paper. Cut and glue green paper to white to make the wreath. Then decorate it with beads, buttons, fabric scraps, stickers, etc.

                  The drawing activities and ornaments are all keepsake items, as is the letter to Santa. With the ornaments, we put them up year after year and reuse them at Chrismas time when decorating our tree. So, each new ornament made has to have the year written on it. The paper keepsake items go in our school yearbook. Another plus to beginning school in January is that *some* of their school supplies double as either Christmas presents or stocking stuffers. For example, larger scrapbooking supplies double as Christmas presents as do their journals. Decorative pens, stamps, stickers, markers, color pencils, etc. double as stocking stuffers. We make backpacks double for Christmas too. They become gift bags! My youngest son still remembers the first time we did that. He got a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle backpack for Christmas from his nanna. We bought him a dinosaur that we couldn't wrap so we put the dinosaur in the backpack, zipped it shut, put a gift tag on both the dino and the backpack and stuck it under the tree!

                  Oh, and we still do homeschool evaluations in September with all the other homeschoolers in our county because although that is when their new year is beginning, its when ours is ending. So it doesn't change our evaluations or our number of days of attendance.

                  --Ali L.
                  Homeschool On A Budget
                  Moms On Mission
                  Gardening On A Budget
                • Reeska
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 6, 2008
                    > Oh, and we don't take October, November, and December entirely
                    > off. We simply get rid of the workbooks, worksheets, etc.
                    > The boys spend those 3 months delving into "personal interest"
                    > topics.

                    Wow! This sounds great. I do feel the stress of starting and stopping when we homeschool September through June. What state and county are you in?

                    Reese

                    [MOD: Apologies for the late sends. Yahoogroups misdirected a bunch of NON spam to its spam folder (and a bunch of ACTUAL spam to the pending folder), and I just stumbled across the misdirected genuine posts. --lmg]