Re:Homeschool Preschool

  • Jill Jones
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 6, 2008
      www.universalpreschool.com <http://www.universalpreschool.com/>

      www.abchomepreschool.com <http://www.abchomepreschool.com/>

      www.starfall.com <http://www.starfall.com/>

      www.brainpopjr.com/reading

      www.letteroftheweek.com <http://www.letteroftheweek.com/>

      These are a few I've used.
      Jill
    • sue_s26
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 6, 2008
        Hi,

        www.starfall.com is a really great one.

        Sue
      • Pounders Beach Rentals
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 7, 2008
          >Preschool tips?

          When I did preschool with my children, we concentrated on nursery rhymes and children's songs the year they were 3. We moved to letters of the alphabet and the numbers 0-10 the year they were 4. Four of my 7 children were reading by the age of 4, the other 3 were a bit slower and didn't start until they were 5. I didn't push them, just read to them every day.

          Melanie
        • Shelly
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 7, 2008
            >preschool advice?

            STARFALL:
            http://www.starfall.com
            It's the absolute best for reading. You can actually buy the whole preschool package but I have never done that. Their website does the teaching and offers many ideas for homeschooling also.

            I also set up a blog for our twins when they were preschooling. I used the free Letter of the week website and printed pictures for them to view.

            http://www.ourpreschoolhomeschool.blogspot.com

            Hope that helps. :o)

            Thank you,
            Shelly Mabe
            The Mom With Brownies
            http://www.icantbelievemylife.com/
          • Melody Sizemore
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 7, 2008
              >Preschool resources?

              [MOD NOTE: This response is for a commercial resource. Suggestions for free resources are invited.
              --lmg, list owner]

              I found a wonderful and inexpensive preschool program that we loved.

              http://www.winterpromise.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_74&products_id=526&osCsid=d1503f60392c174a4964309de67b78fe

              --Melody
            • Karen Richardson
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 7, 2008
                ASTRONOMY
                http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2002/19jul_perseids.htm
                Next week (August 11, 12th and 13th) is the Swift-Tuttle meteor shower (the Perseids).

                From the site: "The Perseid meteor shower peaks this year on Aug. 12th and 13th. The warmth of northern summer makes it one of the year's most inviting sky shows."

                The 12th is better day, cuz we'll be right in the middle of traffic then. You know how it is trying to get through a busy interchange or traffic light. It's the same with earth plowing through these meteors left behind by the Smith-Tuttle comet. I tell my kids to think of it as a melting chocolate-chip ice-cream cone, melting in the summer, more of course cuz we're closer to the sun. And all those drippy ice-cream drops don't fall to the ground, cuz there ain't no (central) gravity, they just drip off and f-l-o-a-t. . . . until we pile into them....

                Another resource:
                Online Etymology Dictionary
                http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=comet
                Learn the difference between comet and meteor.

                --Karen
              • MARILYN MCCULLOCH
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 8, 2008
                  this particular article is about the 2002 shower, but it appears that it is going to be very similar this year.

                  Karen Richardson <homegarden@...> wrote:
                  ASTRONOMY
                  Next week (August 11, 12th and 13th) is the Swift-Tuttle meteor shower (the Perseids).

                  *[Mod. note: Here is an article for this year:
                  http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/22jul_perseiddawn.htm
                  hth, Cheri]
                • lisastimeout
                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 8, 2008
                    ASTRONOMY
                    Experience WWT
                    http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/experienceIt/ExperienceIt.aspx
                    Here is a great site for a free world Telescope. It's amazing, and has all kinds of info and a live feed. You can watch the world in your own home with out buying anything.

                    --Lisa
                  • Michelle Carter
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 11, 2008
                      I just joined today and have a 3 year old girl I'm starting to
                      homeschool as well! We are not religious so we are looking for non-
                      religion based learning. Any tips or advice would be fantastic! My
                      daughter is very intelligent and knows her alphabet and numbers (can't
                      write either one yet) but is not potty trained so I cannot send her to
                      preschool. I'd much rather have her home anyway! Any tips or advice
                      is MUCH appreciated :)

                      Michelle (28 yrs) & Mikayla (3 yrs)

                      --- In 0-homeschoolreviews@yahoogroups.com, "teeney1116"
                      <teeney1116@...> wrote:

                      > Hi! I'm new to the group and decided to homeschool my three-year-old
                      > girl
                    • Oom Yaaqub
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                        >we are looking for non-
                        >religion based learning [for a 3-year-old].

                        The most important thing is that you DON'T need any kind of formal curriculum for a child this age. They learn just from everyday life. Even trips to the post office and the grocery store can be "field trips" although she'd probably also love the occasional trip to the zoo, musuems, a beach, etc. Just setting the table is math. So is learning to tell time. Science experiments are fun, but they can be as simple as growing something from a seed. The Internet has a wealth of free materials--just Google something like "science for preschoolers". Of course you'll be wearing out your library card. The most important thing is to read to her, read to her, read to her. She will make it obvious when she's ready to learn to read. This could be anywhere from age 3 to age 8--there's no particular advantage in being an early reader outside the school system. My son taught himself at the age of 8, and now, three years later, reads at a college level.

                        --Oom Yaaqub
                      • Michelle Carter
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                          >The most important thing is that you DON'T need any kind of formal curriculum for a child this age...

                          That's amazing! I definitely feel better like I'm doing the right stuff now b/c we take her to the zoo constantly, grocery store, post office, museums, parks, the library... and my husband reads her a book every single day! Thanks for the encouragement :)

                          Michelle
                        • Amber Neal
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                            > Hi! I'm new to the group and decided to homeschool my three-year-old

                            Hi and welcome to the group! I homeschool three kids right now. Their ages are 2,3,9. I have included some links that have been really helpful to me.

                            At 3 you dont really need to buy anything. You can get it all for free from the web and the library. Check out some of these links.

                            Starfall
                            http://starfall.com
                            It's the absolute best for reading. You can actually buy the whole preschool package but I have never done that. Their website does the teaching and offers many ideas for homeschooling also.

                            Our Preschool Homeschool
                            http://ourpreschoolhomeschool.blogspot.com
                            The first one is another mom's link to her website. If you check out the above link she has all of the websites I used on her site. It gave me a ton of ideas for my little ones.

                            Letter of the Week
                            http://letteroftheweek.com
                            I really like this one. You can join the email chain and get great ideas from other moms of children your kids ages. I highly recommend this one!!

                            ABC Teach
                            http://abcteach.com

                            First School
                            http://first-school.com

                            Universal Preschool
                            http://universalpreschool.com

                            ABC Home Preschool
                            http://abchomepreschool.com

                            Brainpop Jr.
                            http://brainpopjr.com/reading

                            Good luck and God bless! Please let me know if I can help you any more or if you come across good ideas please pass them on to the rest of the group!

                            Have a great day!

                            His,
                            --Amber
                          • Angelo Family
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                              >I...have a 3 year old girl I'm starting to
                              >homeschool as well!

                              [MOD: This response includes a reference to a commercial resource. We invite additional responses that include free, non-commercial resources. Thanks! --lauramaery, list owner]

                              First, my biggest advice is to simply HAVE FUN! Play with legos, pattern blocks, do puzzles, color, paint with water, chalk drawing, that type of thing. A pre-school isn't going to teach them any more (probably less) than you will at home, especially with only one little one around, instead of at least 12 three-year olds. :)

                              Second, there is a series of preschool books that all my children have loved. It is Rod & Staff's (a Mennonite company) preschool ABC series. There are 6 workbooks in the series. Being non-religious, you'll probably not want to do the B volume (which is a coloring book based on Bible stories that they have a book for), however, the rest of the volumes don't have a lot of religious things. An occasional Bible verse (which if you don't really want to do, you could just rip it out), but mostly, like 99%, lots of just preschool to kindegarten age things. Coloring, matching, copying, eye-hand coordination, finding the same thing, some sounds/phonics, cutting and pasting (always a BIG hit in my house), numbers, that sort of thing.

                              They are also not very expensive.

                              Hope this helps.

                              --Luanne
                            • Wipson Family
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 12, 2008
                                >Preschool tips?

                                I also put simple worksheets into the "glossy" page protectors and give her a dry erase marker. She does them over and over again. She started just scribbling all over, but she knows shapes and colors by doing her "big girl school" like her big sister. Good luck!

                                -- Christine
                              • Pounders Beach Rentals
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 13, 2008
                                  >I...have a 3 year old girl I'm starting to
                                  >homeschool as well!

                                  I love starting with nursery rhymes at this age. Little children love the rhythm of the rhymes. Here is a good website to get you started:

                                  Nursery Rhymes 4 U
                                  http://www.nurseryrhymes4u.com

                                  --Melanie
                                  Vacationing in Hawaii? Come and stay with us!
                                  Pounders Beach Rentals
                                  http://www.poundersbeachrentals.com